Thrift Style Thursday – Vintage Coat

November 21, 2013

Hello, friends, Happy Thrift Style Thursday!!  As soon as Zhenya (from Being Zhenya) mentioned styling coats/jackets for this week’s Thrift Style Thursday, I immediately thought of this beautiful French plaid vintage coat I found at a thrift store a few years ago.  I am so excited to be sharing it with you today!

ThriftStyleThursday_vintagecoat_01

I even dressed up for the occasion and put on some high heel boots, look out!  Haha but seriously, I absolutely love this coat, and finding it tucked away in a thrift store for only $12 or $13 (I can’t remember) was like discovering a special surprise just for me!

ThriftStyleThursday_vintagecoat_02

The coat is a vintage “Veltex” brand coat – according to the label it is “France Fashion Best Quality” – and is in pretty good shape.  I had to replace all of the buttons when I bought it because it was missing a couple, but other than that a couple teeny tiny moth holes, it’s just gorgeous!  A great length, a beautiful gray/black/red plaid pattern and super warm wool with flannel and faux fur lining!

ThriftStyleThursday_vintagecoat_03

The rest of the outfit: gray and white stripe tee (H&M) // black skinny jeans (Old Navy) // black high heel booties (Target) // matte gold heart stud earrings (American Eagle) // mixed metal heart necklace (American Eagle) // vintage gold watch (thrifted) // vintage faux opal cocktail ring (Etsy)

ThriftStyleThursday_vintagecoat_04

As you can see, I decided to mix in some of my favorite vintage accessories as well to add to the styling of the coat.  I didn’t realize until later that I wore these same black jeans in last week’s Thrift Style Thursday post (here), so I am definitely going to have to mix it up next week!  ;)

ThriftStyleThursday_vintagecoat_05

Also, don’t forget to check out the other fabulous bloggers participating in this week’s edition of Thrift Style Thursday!

Love-Coat Relationship” // Being Zhenya
Outerwear …and maybe a fanny pack.” // Spoolish
Outerwear” // Buttons and Birdcages
Baby it’s COLD outside!” // Sandpaper Kisses
Leather and Wool” // The Two Cent Chick
Faux Leather, Leather and Winter Weather, Oh My!” // Sincerely Miss J
New Yorker Wanna-be” // Snippets with Alex
The Coat” // the fair trade fashionistas

Have a great weekend and, as always, thanks for reading!  Kristi :)

• whimsicalchic

what a cute coat! it’s always fun to find other blogs that don’t only write about brand new high-street fashion, but also just “good finds”.

November 21, 2013 at 9:17 am Reply

Thank you!!! I am very much a real person on a real budget and I try to reflect that on my blog – you can look and feel fabulous without spending fabulous amounts of money! ;)

November 21, 2013 at 9:22 am Reply
  • kittehluvs

I love the coat – great style and great price. Plus those booties….swooooon :)

November 21, 2013 at 10:17 am Reply

Thank you!! The boots were totally an impulse buy a couple years ago, but I’m glad I listened to my gut because I love them! ;)

November 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm Reply
  • whimsicalchic

That’s what I always think! Charity shops all the way – I’ve just realized who you look like – it’s Audrey Hepburn!! I bet you get that all the time though haha. x

November 21, 2013 at 10:33 am Reply

Haha thank you so much! I do get Audrey Hepburn from time to time but I never mind – who would?! She’s one of my all-time favorite actresses and icons!! :)

November 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm Reply
  • GlitzySpritzer

Love this look, also agree with the first comment it’s a fresh of breath air to find others who aren’t afraid of sporting the thrift store price tag! Great boots!!
    Burberry DIY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YKOWApRKVQ
    Fashion Blog: http://middayspritzer.com/

November 21, 2013 at 11:15 am Reply

Thank you!! I’ve actually been teased before for wearing “thrift shop clothes,” but I shrugged it off because I was the one wearing Gap jeans for only $3!!! I’d rather be fashionable AND smart! ;)

November 21, 2013 at 12:10 pm Reply
      • GlitzySpritzer

So true! I always embrace it haha I would rather have a closet full of nice in-expensive clothes than an empty closet with only a few expensize ones. :)

November 21, 2013 at 12:18 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

I love how it’s plaid! And how a lot of you picked plaid :)
    Zhenya

November 21, 2013 at 11:40 am Reply

Thank you, me too! Plaid is so much fun and it’s always in style in my book! :)

November 21, 2013 at 12:11 pm Reply
  • pinsplace

Love the plaid + stripes combo. Great post!!
    :-)

November 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm Reply

Thanks! I love mixed patterns / prints, but I don’t do it often enough!! :)

November 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm Reply
  • Alice Cifuentes

I love thrift shopping! I have found tons of great things too. Great outfit! xo

November 21, 2013 at 2:46 pm Reply

Thank you! Thrift shopping is so much fun, like treasure hunting!! :)

November 21, 2013 at 3:58 pm Reply

Your style…I envy it! LOVE the coat!!! And how in the world are those booties from Target?!

November 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm Reply

Wow, thank you so much for the compliment!! I found the booties a few years ago and it was totally one of those “Do I really need these? Aw heck, how can I not??” kind of moments! And I couldn’t, I obviously couldn’t leave them at Target haha! ;)

November 21, 2013 at 4:01 pm Reply

Beautiful coat.. and you have mixed checks and stripes really well :)
    Love, Wink n Pout
    Blog, App

November 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm Reply

Thank you so much! I kept in mind your brilliant pattern mixing post!! :)

November 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm Reply
  • tipsfromtia

LOVE thrifting! Also I love the way you mixed patterns!

November 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm Reply

Thank you! I love thrifting, too (just wish I had more time for it)!! :)

November 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm Reply
  • Miche (@JustLikeMiche)

This coat is amazing! The pattern mixing is perfection!

Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

November 24, 2013 at 5:38 pm Reply

Thank you!!! I love this coat and I have to admit I am pretty pleased with the pattern mixing myself! ;)

November 24, 2013 at 7:29 pm Reply
  • jackline

Been such a crazy week for me never got to see everyone’s thrift thursday coat look, and once again my obession for plaid is worsened, lol. Love it, and under $15 bucks even better. See you thursday.

November 24, 2013 at 6:04 pm Reply

Haha thank you! I am definitely in love with this coat (and with plaid in general, too)!! :) See you Thursday!!

November 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm Reply
  • Plaid Love | Thrift Style Thursday | Alligator Toe

[…] know how much I loooooove plaid!  There is evidence here, here, here AND here.  I also have a vintage plaid coat, a handmade plaid skirt, and I even used to have a pair of plaid boots (sadly, it was time to […]

August 21, 2014 at 7:44 am Reply
  • Leather and Wool: Outerwear for Thrift Style Thursday | The Thrifty Girl's Guide

[…] Vintage Coat : Kristi of Alligator Toe […]

November 8, 2014 at 8:40 am Reply
  • Your comments make my day, let me know what you think! :)