Thrift Style Thursday – The Polka Dot Challenge!

December 5, 2013

Hello, friends, happy Thrift Style Thursday!  I am so excited to join my fellow blogger fashionistas for this week’s polka dot challenge!

ThrfitStyleThursday_polkadots01

At first, I thought finding something stylish with a polka dot pattern at a thrift store was going to be a challenge (hence the name of this post), but I actually found this adorable Heritage by Forever 21 dress almost immediately when I hit up a local Goodwill store.  The best thing about this dress – well, aside from the fact that it looks brand new and was only $9 – is the fact that it has both stripes AND polka dots!  Allow me to open my jacket so you can see it better….  ;)

ThrfitStyleThursday_polkadots02 copy

Oh, and what’s that??  Why yes, my coat does have a floral lining making this outfit a pattern triple threat (said in a megaphone/announcer voice)!  Stripes, polka dots AND a floral – boo yah!  ;)

Haha sorry, I will try to contain my excitement, but how can I when this dress pretty much fits like a glove?!  Plus, this chilly weather has given me the opportunity to wear my new rain boots!!  I have been on the hunt for the perfect pair of rain boots through several rainy seasons and I think I may have finally found them.  I scored these Tretorn olive green boots from Amazon’s MYHABIT site at a decent discount and I have loved them ever since.

ThrfitStyleThursday_polkadots03

I could not be more excited about this outfit – I was having so much fun taking pictures in the park the other morning, I was practically frolicking!  Needless to say, I got quite a few smiles from passers-by and more than a few curious glances.  Whatevs, I was rocking my dress, fleece-lined tights and rain boots!  ;)

ThrfitStyleThursday_polkadots05

The deets: Heritage by Forever 21 dress (Goodwill) // black fleece-lined tights (Walmart) // olive green Tretorn rain boots (myhabit) // filigree locket necklace (Etsy, gift) // matte gold stud earrings (American Eagle) // rose gold watch (Target) // black trench coat (Forever 21, old)

ThrfitStyleThursday_polkadots04

Don’t mind me, just checkin’ out my Tretorns!

Also, don’t forget to check out these amazing blogger ladies participating in this week’s Thrift Style Thursday:

Black and Polka Dots” by Zhenya // Being Zhenya
Polka and Proud” by Martyna // Spoolish
Dots” by Miche // Buttons and Birdcages
polka dots” by Nout // Sandpaper Kisses
My Style=Polka Dotty” by Justine // The Two Cent Chick
Jackline // Sincerely Miss J
The Modern Polka Dot” by Alex // Snippets with Alex
The Polka Dot” by Brandi // the fair trade fashionistas

I hope you have a fabulous weekend and enjoy Jack Frost nipping at your nose!  As always, thanks for reading :), Kristi

• rubyangel711

Love the eclectic mix of patterns! That is the cutest dress! I have the same Tretorn rubber boots, except mine are grey! Aren’t they amazingly comfy? They must be extra comfy with the fleece-lined tights!

December 5, 2013 at 9:15 am Reply

Thank you!!! Yes, I love these boots, they are so comfortable and warm, especially with my new favorite tights! ;)

December 5, 2013 at 9:30 am Reply
  • buttonsandbirdcages

You are so beyond adorable in this! LOVE the pattern mixing!

December 5, 2013 at 9:53 am Reply

Nice mix of patterns! I would have never thought to put stripes and dots together!

December 5, 2013 at 10:08 am Reply

Thanks! It was easy since the dress did the coordinating for me haha! ;)

December 5, 2013 at 10:19 am Reply
  • BeingZhenya

This is so cute! I love your skirt! See I was looking for something like that, and there was a dress in M at Goodwill on Saturday that was so so big! I don’t know in which universe it’s Medium ;)
    And my co-worker liked your post too :)
    Zhenya

December 5, 2013 at 11:46 am Reply

Thank you!! I was so excited as soon as I saw the polka dots on this dress! You’ve definitely gotta be careful with thrift store “sizing;” I was afraid this dress would be too small, but luckily it fit perfectly! ;)
      And thanks to your coworker, too! :)

December 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm Reply

That is such a unique dress. So much to the point that, it almost looks like a tee tucked into a skirt…! Sheer luck :) Plus adore the color of your boots.

Love, Wink n Pout
    Blog , App

December 5, 2013 at 1:41 pm Reply

Thank you so much! I definitely scored at the thrift store when I found that dress!! Ooh and I am totally into olive green at the moment, it might be my favorite color of the season! ;)

December 5, 2013 at 5:18 pm Reply

I love that you have introduced me to Thrift Style Thursdays! I am totally doing this. Like half my wardrobe is thrifted!! Adorable dress, by the way :)

December 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm Reply

Eep thank you!!! It would be so awesome if you joined Thrift Style Thursdays, you should let me/us know so we can link up with you!! :)

December 5, 2013 at 5:20 pm Reply

Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. I can barely stand how adorable this entire outfit is! Love the combo of the stripes and polka dots and the color of your boots is so gorgeous. The dress really does fit you like a glove. I also love your necklace. I feel like I’m rambling. I’ll stop.

December 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm Reply

Hahahaha I am seriously blushing, thank you!! I owe it all to the best Goodwill ever and my sister for buying me the necklace and, um, myhabit for having a good deal on these amazing olive green boots which I absolutely love! Okay, now it’s my turn to stop rambling. Thanks!! :)

December 5, 2013 at 5:24 pm Reply
  • kittehluvs

I didn’t realize that the dress was a dress until I read the details. I love it! stripes + florals + polka dots = happiness!

December 6, 2013 at 7:39 am Reply

Haha yeah these dresses are my favorite because all the hard work is done for you! ;)
      And yes stripes + florals + polka dots = happiness every time!!! :)

December 6, 2013 at 10:19 am Reply
  • Kate

I love how you did this challenge. So cute!

December 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm Reply

Thanks, Kate! Did you check out the other girls, too?? It’s really fun to see all the different looks everyone comes up with and how they made polka dots to fit their personal style! :)

December 6, 2013 at 2:10 pm Reply
  • whatwewear

beautiful photos and such a fun outfit!!

December 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm Reply

Thank you so much! I had a ton of fun taking those pictures in the park!! :)

December 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm Reply
  • My Style=Polka Dotty {Thrift Style Thursday} | The Thrifty Girl's Guide

[…] The Polka Dot Challenge from Kristi at Alligator Toe  […]

November 8, 2014 at 8:34 am Reply
  • Your comments make my day, let me know what you think! :)