Thrift Style Thursday – Leather that Lasts

January 9, 2014

Hello, friends, Happy Thursday!  It’s that time of the week again, Thrift Style Thursday time, and this week’s theme is leather.

ThriftStyleThursday_leather_title

I will not claim to be the best, but I will say that I have been at this thrifting game for quite a while and one thing I found out fast and have always stuck to is that quality leather is always worth snapping up whenever you find it at a thrift store.  Without fail, whenever I step into a thrift store, I always stop by the racks of purses and shoes to see if there is any quality leather (and I’m usually on the lookout for a classic leather jacket, as well), because leather that has been taken care of usually lasts.

ThriftStyleThursday_leather_01

Today’s look features two of my favorite leather finds – Frye woven leather flats and an Anne Klein purse with leather accents.  I thrifted each of these separately, but they are each made with genuine leather and have each lasted me through several years of use.

ThriftStyleThursday_leather_02

The flats are actually one of my proudest thrift store finds.  I have always been a fan of the Frye brand – their boots are gooooorgeous – but their genuine leather products have always been out of my price range.  Until the day I found these woven peep toe flats, and the rest, as they say, is history (especially for only $8)!

ThriftStyleThursday_leather_03

The details: mint sweater (Old Navy) // navy polka dot skinny pants (Old Navy) // tan braided leather belt (?) // woven leather accent purse (Anne Klein, thrifted) // tan woven leather flats (Frye, thrifted) // mint jewel circle earrings (gift) // mixed metal heart necklace (American Eagle)

ThriftStyleThursday_leather_04

Tan leather accents are always my go-to accessory choice when I’m not sure what else to do.  Neutral and so easy to pair with just about everything, I turn to tan leather belts, purses and shoes/boots almost as a reflex.  For this outfit, with the patterned pants and pretty mint sweater, I didn’t want to take away from the rest of the ensemble, so my favorite leather accessories were a no-brainer.

ThriftStyleThursday_leather_05

Don’t forget to check out my fellow fabulous thrifting ladies and their posts using thrifted leather!

Zhenya // Being Zhenya
Martyna // Spoolish
Miche // Buttons and Birdcages
Nout // Sandpaper Kisses
Justine // The Two Cent Chick
Jackline // Sincerely Miss J
by Alex // Snippets with Alex
Brandi // the fair trade fashionistas

Do you have any go-to accessories?  What are your favorite leather items??  As always, thanks for reading :), Kristi

• Elisa d 'Almeida

So prettiest!

January 9, 2014 at 8:57 am Reply
  • lydiamerrett

i love you look! check out mine at http://www.lydiamerrettart.wordpress.com

January 9, 2014 at 9:29 am Reply

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely check out your blog!! :)

January 9, 2014 at 9:45 am Reply
  • toopretty12

Reblogged this on The Pretty Canary.

January 9, 2014 at 9:53 am Reply

Totally cute! Love this look! How do I find out what the next thrift style Thursday theme is? I wanna keep up with it and post my own :)

January 9, 2014 at 2:58 pm Reply

Thank you!! Ooh yay I’m so glad you want to join in, it’s so much fun! We’re all on twitter and @BeingZhenya is going to post a schedule soon! (I can forward it to you, too) :)

January 9, 2014 at 3:00 pm Reply
  • brittansalisbury

Love your look! What great finds! xx

January 9, 2014 at 3:59 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

Love love love those flats! And can I be where you are, where there is no snow??? Pretty please!
    ~Zhenya

January 9, 2014 at 7:47 pm Reply

Hahaha aw thank you snd I’d love it if you could come to California!! I totally realized after I posted that everyone else is dealing with the big freeze and I’m in peep toe flats in the sun! Oops!!! ;)

January 9, 2014 at 7:53 pm Reply
      • BeingZhenya

Lucky you! Alex I think is also in Cali, I am not sure though – double check with her :) I have family in LA, so maybe, just maybe sometime soon!

January 9, 2014 at 7:56 pm Reply

Yes, I think Alex is in the bay area! You will definitely have to let me know if you’re ever headed west, we could have a mini meet-up!! :)

January 9, 2014 at 8:15 pm Reply
          • BeingZhenya

It would be great! Which part of Cali are you in? I want to do a road trip along the west coast in the next 5 years for sure!

January 9, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I’m in Southern California, in Orange County! That would be so much fun!! I don’t generally get any farther east than Utah or Texas haha ;)

January 9, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Oh my gosh I don’t even know what to comment on first!!!! Freakin Frye flats for $8?! You should definitely be proud of that one. And the purse is gorgeous. And you know how I feel about polka dots, so I pretty much adore everything about this look :)

January 10, 2014 at 3:46 am Reply

Hahaha thank you!!! I pretty much couldn’t believe the shoes either and I’m certain the thrift store had no idea what they had on their hands! And I absolutely love this purse, I practically wore it out last spring/summer!! Thanks :)

January 10, 2014 at 6:54 am Reply

I do the exact same thing when thrifting! a quality leather item is something that I’m always on the lookout for. I love your outfit here btw. the brown from the leather and the mint sweater look really good together. Plus those flats…what a find! xo

January 10, 2014 at 6:55 am Reply

Thank you!! I really liked the tone of the leather with the mint, too, but I pretty much love brown/tan leather no matter what haha! :)

January 10, 2014 at 7:05 am Reply

We love this look on you Kristi! The color mint suits you so much! And about thrifting leather…excellent advice to always stay on the lookout. And seriously those flats have lasted you years.. !! Mind Blowing :) That is why we appreciate and love leather so much. It is usually and investment but it lasts. For you it was a wonderful bargain!

Love, Wink n Pout
    Blog , App

January 11, 2014 at 1:05 pm Reply

Thank you!! My mom always tells me mint looks good with my brown hair and eyes, too, haha! And yes, quality leather is definitely an investment, and I especially like finding it at thrift stores because it feels more earth-friendly! ;)

January 12, 2014 at 5:13 pm Reply
  • whatwewear

love your pants!!!
    xoxo Vera & Rony

January 12, 2014 at 9:49 am Reply

Thank you! Coming from you ladies, that is definitely a compliment!! :)

January 12, 2014 at 5:14 pm Reply
  • Fashion Galleria

Simply but chic outfit. I love the bag and the sweater.

January 13, 2014 at 12:02 am Reply
  • Miche (@JustLikeMiche)

Beautiful photos! I should’ve thought to look for shoes or a bag, for some reason I was too focused on finding a cool jacket or pair of pants (fail..this is why I missed last TST..I suck, I know).
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

January 13, 2014 at 7:33 am Reply

Thank you! Hahaha aw you definitely do not suck! We all get stuck sometimes, I fall into the trap of looking for something too specific at thrift stores all the time!!! That’s why I am loving TST, they challenge us to be creative and be better bloggers and thrifters! ;)

January 13, 2014 at 7:36 am Reply
  • alessiapasqual

Very nice your pics!!

New post:

January 14, 2014 at 1:25 am Reply
  • rubyangel711

Say what? $8 for the Frye flats! That is an amazing find! Bravo! (P.S. I also love the Old Navy mint sweater)

January 16, 2014 at 9:33 am Reply

Thank you, thank you!! I couldn’t believe the Frye flats when I found them, either! I remember I kept double checking to be sure they were really haha!! ;)

January 16, 2014 at 11:00 am Reply
  • Leather & Boots {Thrift Style Thursday} | The Thrifty Girl's Guide

[…] Leather that Lasts from Kristi at Alligator Toe  […]

November 8, 2014 at 8:12 am Reply
  • Your comments make my day, let me know what you think! :)