Thrift Style Thursday – {Maxi}mum Style

January 16, 2014

Hello, friends!  Is it just me or does the word maxi make less and less sense the more you look at it / read it??  Sorry, spent too long debating the title of this post, just ignore me and let’s move on to the maxi skirts!!!

ThriftStyleThursday_maxiskirts_insta

I will freely admit that I have only two maxi skirts in my closet, which I have only worn on very few occasions.  It’s not that I don’t like them, I do, it’s just that I have a hard time knowing how to wear them.  So, when the theme for maxi skirts came up… for mid-January… my first thought was, “Are you crazy?!”  And then my second thought – after a pause – was, “Challenge accepted!”

ThriftStyleThursday_maxiskirts_01

Oh, and then the weather in Southern California decided to get all bat shoot crazy (you know what I mean) and the temperatures for the past week have been in the 80’s!  Luckily, Sunday (the day I took these photos) was slightly cooler so I wasn’t entirely sweating in my sweater.

ThriftStyleThursday_maxiskirts_02

Part of me feels like this is craziness and I am missing out on winter, but another small part of me feels totally guilty that I am soaking up some beautiful, Southern California, vitamin-D-enriched sunshine while most of the rest of the Northern hemisphere is, well, freezing.  Sorry, I cannot change the weather.  Ugh, I can’t even talk about the weather anymore.  Let’s just look at some more pictures, okay?

ThriftStyleThursday_maxiskirts_03ThriftStyleThursday_maxiskirts_04

The details:
white speckled sweater (Old Navy, only $8!!!)
floral maxi skirt (hand-me-down from Mom, originally H&M)
nude cut-out booties (gift (thrifted), originally Target)
blush pink stud earrings (H&M)
braided suede & cord bracelets (handmade)

ThriftStyleThursday_maxiskirts_05

Okay, so I supposed I didn’t technically thrift this skirt, but if I hadn’t taken it off my mom’s hands, it would have ended up at the Salvation Army anyway, so it’s like I pre-thrifted it… that’s a thing, right?

Do you have any plans for this holiday weekend??  I cannot wait to land in Utah where there is actual winter happening, right now!  But don’t worry, I have a couple posts planned for while I am away!  :)

As always, thanks for reading, and please don’t forget to check out my fellow Thrift Style Thursday’ers, including our newest participant, Megan!  :)

Zhenya // Being Zhenya
Martyna // Spoolish
Miche // Buttons and Birdcages
Nout // Sandpaper Kisses
Justine // The Two Cent Chick
Jackline // Sincerely Miss J
by Alex // Snippets with Alex
Megan // Eclecticity

• Elisa d 'Almeida

And behold, you find the solution! =)

January 16, 2014 at 10:43 am Reply

Hahaha thank you! It is quite challenging dressing in this weather and add to that a maxi skirt? Quite frankly, even I’m amazed I pulled something off! ;)

January 16, 2014 at 11:04 am Reply

We’re neutral twins today! Love this laid back look, and of course I love the booties :) Hope you have a GREAT time in Utah. Never been there but I’ve heard it’s really beautiful this time of year! xo

January 16, 2014 at 11:20 am Reply

Thank you!! I didn’t even think about it, but you’re right, we bith totally played up the neutrals! How funny that our looks are still so unique to us! And thanks, I am so excited for some cold weather (although I’m sure I’ll change my tone the second I step off the plane!) ;)

January 16, 2014 at 1:58 pm Reply

Loving this look! The boots are especially cute :)

January 16, 2014 at 11:23 am Reply

Thank you!! The boots were a gift from my boyfriend’s aunt – she knows my style so well, I’m a lucky girl!! :)

January 16, 2014 at 2:00 pm Reply
  • toopretty12

Reblogged this on The Pretty Canary.

January 16, 2014 at 2:08 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

Beautiful skirt! I have a similar one in yellow tones! Love the photos as always! Do you also do self shooters?
    ~Zhenya

January 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm Reply

Thank you!! I just use the timer on my camera and run back and forth (and probably look totally crazy haha)! :)

January 16, 2014 at 7:00 pm Reply
      • BeingZhenya

I do that too, well except for my camera can be voice activated, so I say cheese and smile and yes, look crazy as well!

January 16, 2014 at 7:02 pm Reply

Haha that sounds hilarious, but awesome!! I know a certain three-year-old who would find that “cheese” function a ton of fun! ;)

January 16, 2014 at 7:05 pm Reply
          • BeingZhenya

Hehe, I love that feature, saves me time! Don’t have to run back and forth as much :)

January 16, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Lovely! And yes, pre-thrifted is totally a thing! :P

January 16, 2014 at 10:02 pm Reply

Hahaha thanks, even if it isn’t a thing, I am pretty sure we can make it a thing! ;)

January 16, 2014 at 10:09 pm Reply
  • Fashion Galleria

I absolutely love this kind of skirt i have one but i have no chance to wear it. I love that you wear yours with the boots. Looks so chic and so inspiring.

January 16, 2014 at 11:52 pm Reply

Thank you so much! I have two and I don’t wear them often, but they are fun! :)

January 17, 2014 at 6:44 am Reply
  • Jackline A

Hey Kristi!
    Thank you so much for the comment! I’m a little envious of that weather you’ve got down in California! But anyways, I love this skirt and the boots you chose to pair them with !See you next week!

Sincerely Miss J

January 17, 2014 at 12:27 pm Reply

Haha thanks! The sun is nice, but it is too hot and too dry; unfortunately, we’ve already had a rash of fires in the area :(
      Luckily, nothing too close to my house personally, but we could definitely use a change in the weather soon!
      And thanks, it was fun to try something a little different with this skirt! :)

January 17, 2014 at 12:36 pm Reply

Ok I’m glad I’m not the only one that sometimes has panicked thoughts when I see the themes for our lovely TST!!! Haha

I agree…I don’t know how to wear maxi skirts, hence why I don’t own any. But that’s definitely going to change after seeing everyone’s fabulous looks!! Adore this look…so comfy yet polished!

January 17, 2014 at 2:20 pm Reply

Thank you!! Yeah, I’ve definitely had a few moments of panic, but I think the set themes actually force me to just be more creative and (hopefully) be a better blogger!
      It took me a while to warm up to maxi skirts, but they are super fun to wear so I hope you find your maxi skirt match made in heaven!! ;)

January 17, 2014 at 3:15 pm Reply