Thrift Style Thursday – Dress Like a Celebrity

February 6, 2014

Hello, friends, Happy Thursday!  I have to admit that I was totally unsure of what the heck I was going to wear for today’s celebrity-inspired theme, but then I found sudden inspiration at the likeliest of places, the thrift store (duh)!

ThriftStyleThursday_celebinspired_title

Yeah, I went there, full on hipster, baby!  You can ask anyone who knows me that I have been wanting to thrift a good pair of overalls for ages, so you can imagine my excitement when I found this pair – FOR 50% OFF – this past weekend!  That’s right, on sale from $8.99 to $4.49!  Before I get all caught up, here’s my celebrity inspiration, the lovely Keira Knightley:

KeiraKnightly_overalls

I have actually been pinning tons of outfits on Pinterest styling overalls in different ways, basically feeding my obsession with a piece of clothing that I will readily admit probably should have stayed in the 90’s, BUT these aren’t Lauryn Hill’s overalls from Sister Act!  Oh no, today’s overalls have been trimmed down with a skinnier fit and fashionistas are even dressing theirs up with heels.  Of course, I stuck a little closer to my comfort zone since I knew I was taking a bit of a fashion risk…

ThriftStyleThursday_celebinspired_02

Here’s my celebrity montage: “Don’t mind me, I’m just a super cool celebrity on her way to something very important, obviously…  Oh no, is that the paparazzi?!  No, no more photos of me in my amazing overalls, darn you, paparazzi!”

Since I was so excited to find overalls at the thrift store (for half off!), I didn’t mind that they weren’t exactly very fitted or even up to the current style standards (if such a thing exists for overalls).  I simply needed to make them more fitted, so I took in several inches on the legs, a teeny bit on the sides and even took in a couple inches on the seam up the center back, adding a sort of dart to diminish all the extra fabric.  I think my alterations worked out pretty well and I am excited to wear these bad boys again!

ThriftStyleThursday_celebinspired_01

Haha okay, clearly I am having too much fun with this!  What can I say, it must be the hipster glasses infecting me with their, um, irony??

Let’s just get to the outfit details: overalls (thrifted & refashioned (they were way big, but I did some handy dandy alterations)) // stripe shirt (Old Navy) // lilac Converse (Ross??, old) // hipster tortoise shell fake glasses (Forever 21)

ThriftStyleThursday_celebinspired_04

I used to love my overalls and shortalls when I was growing up.  I wore them all the way into high school until my last pair had to be cut open…  Long story short, the paramedics had to cut my pants open so they could get to my knee, which had been dislocated.  Anyway, I am obviously excited that overalls are making a come back, and I hope the trend sticks around for a while.

ThriftStyleThursday_celebinspired_03

So, tell me the truth, where do you fall on the return of the overall??  Love it or hate it or somewhere in between, now is your chance to chime in!  ;)

While you ponder your preference, don’t forget to check out my fellow thrifty ladies to see which celebrity inspires them for this week’s Thrift Style Thursday:

Zhenya // Being Zhenya
Martyna // Spoolish
Miche // Buttons and Birdcages
Nout // Sandpaper Kisses
Justine // The Two Cent Chick
Jackline // Sincerely Miss J
by Alex // Snippets with Alex
Megan // Eclecticity
Sheri // Confessions of a Refashionista

No matter what you think, as always, thanks for reading :), Kristi

PS.  I just can’t help myself; here are more gratuitous photos of celebrities wearing overalls!

Liv Tyler is all smiles as she spends her labor day out and about in New York CityAlexaChung_overallsLilyCollins_overallsSarahJessicaParker_overalls

• Confessions of a Refashionista

Keira Knightley styling? You absolutely nailed it! Love those overalls!

*As your newest Thrift Style Thursday contributor I’d lurv to know what you think of my first post :D http://awesomesauceasshattery.com/2014/02/06/a-celebrity-inspired-thrift-style-thursday/

February 6, 2014 at 7:12 am Reply

Thank you! And welcome to Thrift Style Thursdays! I just updated my post with your link – so excited to have you!! (On my way over to your post now!) :)

February 6, 2014 at 7:33 am Reply

Super cute, Kristi! :) You pulled off the overalls very well. And your glasses are divine! <3
    -Alex of http://snippetswithalex.wordpress.com

February 6, 2014 at 7:21 am Reply

Thank you!! I secretly love these glasses, but I get teased whenever I wear them because I don’t need to wear glasses. Oh well, a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do! ;)

February 6, 2014 at 7:35 am Reply

Haha, no shame whatsoever. Remember those days when glasses weren’t cool?

February 6, 2014 at 7:36 am Reply
  • rubyangel711

You look absolutely adorable! Love denim overalls! Great find, I’m jealous

February 6, 2014 at 7:42 am Reply

Thank you!! I didn’t know if I would be able to find a pair and I had just about given up, but I’m so glad I could make these work! :)

February 6, 2014 at 10:09 am Reply
  • Lysa@MonkeyAndSquish

Super cute! Love the alterations done on them, I’ve tried to alter a few things I’ve had but I just end up butchering them.

February 6, 2014 at 7:44 am Reply

Thank you!! It definitely takes some practice, but keep at it because once you get the hang of it, being able to do your own alterations is so worth it! :)

February 6, 2014 at 10:16 am Reply
  • isabellasydnye

Oooh! Never thought I would like overalls again, but you have me transformed! Great thrift style thursday!

February 6, 2014 at 8:10 am Reply

Thank you so much! And welcome to the dark side!! ;)

February 6, 2014 at 10:21 am Reply
  • Leslie Macho

I’m pretty sure I have a school picture of you in 5th or 6th grade in overalls with rainbow straps! Remember calling each other to wear our overalls when we would ride our bikes to Masuda?! You make theses overalls look really good, BTW

February 6, 2014 at 10:18 am Reply

Hahahaha thank you! Omg I definitely have that school picture, those overalls with the rainbow straps were my favorite!!! And I definitely remember us wearing our matching overalls haha! :)

February 6, 2014 at 10:23 am Reply
  • .MIS. Manhattan Image & Style

Stunning sweetie! You look so chic! You have such a beautiful blog!
    Feel free to visit my blog as well! You will find topics such as NYC Fashion, health, beauty, personal growth and motivation between others! <3
    Diana
    New Blog Post: How to Get What You Want

February 6, 2014 at 10:30 am Reply

Thank you so much! I’ll be sure to check out your blog as well!! :)

February 6, 2014 at 10:34 am Reply

You totally nailed this one! Love love love! You look really hot plus it is such an interesting look. Been one of our favorites since we saw Kiera in it!
    Love, Wink n Pout
    Blog , App

February 6, 2014 at 11:32 am Reply

Thank you!! I love that Keira Knightley wears her overalls so often along with some other great pieces that she remixes! :)

February 6, 2014 at 3:05 pm Reply

omg stop, this is too cute! I absolutely love this :)

February 6, 2014 at 11:56 am Reply
  • marmargerbil

I’m part of the dark side! I love overalls, I find them easy and weirdly flattering. You nailed that look, too, how fun!

February 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm Reply

Hurray, more members of the overalls fan club, a.k.a. the dark side!!! Hahaha thanks! :)

February 6, 2014 at 3:12 pm Reply
  • emilygeraghty

YAAAAS to the picture of you fighting of the paparazzi, ha! Love this. I feel like I always see celebs and models wearing overalls but rarely see someone who isn’t famous wear them.

February 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm Reply

Hahaha thank you, clearly I was having a lot of fun!! I have actually found a ton of great bloggers and street style photos on Pinterest with really cute overall stylin’! ;)

February 6, 2014 at 3:16 pm Reply
  • pinsplace

Haha love the first set of photos, the whole look is adorable and seems really comfortable!

February 6, 2014 at 1:43 pm Reply

Thanks! It is super comfortable!! :)

February 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm Reply

Haha oh my gosh you’re the hippest hipster I ever did see. I most definitely lol-ed at the celebrity montage! I don’t think I’d personally wear overalls (anymore…I freakin rocked them as a young lass) but they look so adorable and perfect on you!

February 6, 2014 at 2:48 pm Reply

Hahaha thank you! Clearly it wasn’t very hard for me to channel my inner hipster!! ;)

February 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

Amazing! You guys are all so inspirational! I love our Thrift Style Thursdays!

February 6, 2014 at 6:11 pm Reply

Yes, I totally agree! Thrift Style Thursdays are so fun – best blogging day of the week!! ;)

February 6, 2014 at 8:12 pm Reply

oh my – I LOVE THIS LOOK! seriously, I now miss overalls. and you totally nailed it. New task: find overalls at the thrift store cause you makes them look GOOD, lady.

February 7, 2014 at 5:38 am Reply

Thank you!! I am so excited I was finally able to thrift a pair, I have been wanting overalls for what feels like forever! I hope you find your dream pair, too!! ;)

February 7, 2014 at 7:06 am Reply
  • buttonsandbirdcages

Oh my gosh you are TOO CUTE! This is spot on for her look, I love it. As for the overall trend, I think I’m somewhere in between with my feelings on them coming back, they look cute on some people (like you)..but others (like myself)..not so much lol

February 7, 2014 at 6:58 am Reply

Thank you!!! And I totally understand your mixed feelings about overalls; like I said, it is a trend that probably never should have come back, but I am not sorry it did! All these positive comments might be dangerous, it just adds fuel to my overall-loving fire haha! ;)

February 7, 2014 at 7:08 am Reply
  • mckennapaigeryan

Love love love the overalls. I’ve been looking for a pair for FOREVER. So jealous, love the glasses too! Too cute! Heh.

February 7, 2014 at 8:49 am Reply

Thank you so much! Go out and get yourself a pair!! :)

February 7, 2014 at 10:35 am Reply
  • Jackline A

Hey girl! You really nailed the look and gosh you’re just so fun to read! I’m doing some catch up on all your posts as I type!
    Sincerely Miss J

February 7, 2014 at 9:16 am Reply

Haha thank you, you’re so sweet!! :)

February 7, 2014 at 10:39 am Reply
  • RandomTashAnia

Loving the overalls. It’s making me want to buy a pair. I haven’t worn them since I was kid. You do have similar features to Keira. I’d love to see more pictures of her style. She’s got quite a causal style.

February 8, 2014 at 11:50 am Reply

Thank you! I really like Keira Knightley’s style, I think she’s grown a lot and her style is much more down to Earth :)

February 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm Reply
      • RandomTashAnia

Anytime. =) I agree. She doesn’t really seem to care about wearing the same thing a lot of the time. I remember seeing this article about her wearing her wedding dress to an event a few weeks ago. She still looked amazing.

February 8, 2014 at 6:59 pm Reply
  • aimee

You look so cute! I live in overalls anymore. :) Nice post.

March 4, 2014 at 9:27 pm Reply

Thanks, I had a ton of fun and I’m so happy overalls are back! :)

March 4, 2014 at 10:54 pm Reply
  • dungarees

very great dungarees
    salopette en jeans pour and dungaress for you

November 6, 2015 at 4:08 am Reply