DIY Valentine’s Day Cards

February 14, 2014

Hello, friends, Happy Valentine’s Day!  I remember “back in the day” when we used to hand out Valentines to all of our classmates in school.  One of my favorite activities in first grade was making and decorating a Valentine’s Day “mailbox” out of a shoe box for classmates to deliver their Valentines.  Today’s craft is only slightly more grown up…  ;)

DIY-Valentines-Day-cards

I have been wanting to make hand embroidered cards for a while now and decided that Valentine’s Day is the perfect occasion.  I created two simple designs that you can easily replicate or get creative and come up with your own!  I also made my own envelopes using another envelope as a template.

Supplies you’ll need:

• thick, heavy stock paper (I used cardstock and scrapbook paper)
  • scissors
  • pencil (and a good eraser, if you’re like me)
  • embroidery thread
  • embroidery needle
  • glue (for making the envelopes)

After making my envelopes, I determined what measurements I needed for my cards and then cut the paper to size.  Next, it was time to get to work!

Valentines-Day-cards-DIY_01Valentines-Day-cards-DIY_02

I hope you like my crafty Valentine’s Day cards!  Will you be giving out any Valentine’s this year??

As always, thanks for reading!  :)

Delightfully, Kristi (signature)

PS.  If you enjoyed this project, you can see a new list of my favorite Valentine’s Day crafts here, OR, if you’re not much of a DIY’er, this post has a list of FREE Valentine’s Day printables!

Valentine's Day Crafts with Delightfully Kristi // #DelightfulDIY

• whimsicalchic

This is SUCH a clever idea – I’m going to have to give it a go for the next birthday in my calendar!

February 14, 2014 at 7:17 am Reply

Thank you, I’d love to see your designs, make sure you share!! :)

February 14, 2014 at 12:36 pm Reply
  • whatwewear

beautiful ideas, and the cards came out amazing!!!
    happy valentine’s day!
    xoxo

February 14, 2014 at 8:26 am Reply

Thank you so much, so glad you like them!! Happy Valentine’s Day! :)

February 14, 2014 at 12:38 pm Reply
  • thecutielicious

What a nice idea! <3
    The Cutielicious
    Federica

February 14, 2014 at 9:10 am Reply

Thanks!! And thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment, Happy Valentine’s Day! :)

February 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm Reply

So cute!

February 14, 2014 at 9:43 am Reply

These are totally adorable! Love them :)

February 14, 2014 at 12:48 pm Reply
  • Miche (@JustLikeMiche)

So cute! Paul and I make each other cards every year, I’ll definitely have to remember this one!
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

February 15, 2014 at 7:50 am Reply

Thank you! That is so sweet, now I feel like Derek and I are total slackers, this is the 1st time I’ve made or even given him a card in forever haha! ;)

February 15, 2014 at 7:55 am Reply
  • egoh

Wow how creative! such a great idea!! I love it!

February 16, 2014 at 11:13 pm Reply

Thank you so much! I have seen embroidered cards floating around the internet, so I thought I’d make my own version, glad you like them! :)

February 17, 2014 at 6:50 am Reply
  • Lysa@MonkeyAndSquish

Happy be-lated Valentines Day! Thanks for the tutorial, I really LOVE the heart-burst?!?!?!

February 17, 2014 at 10:41 pm Reply

Hahaha Happy Valentine’s Day! So glad you liked it, I never thought of it that way, but heart-burst is a great description!! :)

February 17, 2014 at 11:00 pm Reply
  • GraceFace1791

What a great idea! Question though…how did you end it all?! Just keep tying knots in the back?

February 3, 2015 at 7:59 pm Reply

Yes! On the card where I embroidered “Happy Valentine’s Day,” I tied off each color in tiny knots and as you can see in the last picture, I glued a piece of patterned paper to the inside to cover up the back side of the embroidery (and all the knots). You could also use small pieces of tape to tape the loose ends of the thread and then glue paper over for a more flat finish. For the red heart card, the string just continuously loops through/around the paper, so you should only end up with two knots – one when you start and one when you finish. I hope that answered your question! Thanks so much!! :)

February 4, 2015 at 9:34 am Reply
  • Maria Kokal

I just found this post via the Lush blog and loved this idea! Two valentines complete with four more to go! (I did the heart burst one).

February 10, 2015 at 11:16 am Reply

Thank you so much!! Glad you were able to find some inspiration for your valentines! Thanks for the comment! :)

February 10, 2015 at 1:46 pm Reply
  • Bryce

I love the heart card! As far as a continuous loop, how do you accomplish that? Do you have to guess how long you string needs to be, then pull that entire length through every hole?

June 11, 2015 at 8:37 am Reply

Thank you!! Yes, I generally guess how much string I’ll need, though it’s better to err on the side of too little (for the lettering) because if you grab too much, the string can get tangled, twisted and mostly just messy. For the heart, you’re creating simple, straight lines, so the string shouldn’t get too messy on you. For any project, though, if you end up not grabbing enough string, you can always knot more string onto your first string in the back.
      Hope that helps! Good luck with your project!! :)

June 15, 2015 at 7:31 pm Reply
  • Lisa

Hi- Your idea is adorable and perfect for an art project for young teens.

How do you make the envelopes?

Grateful!

June 17, 2015 at 6:04 am Reply

Thank you!! I found a free template online for the envelope, but you could also take any size envelope you want to use at home and carefully open it up completely to trace the shape! :)
      (I’ve gotten a few questions about the envelope, I’ll try to find the template I used and share it in the post!)

June 17, 2015 at 7:24 am Reply
  • Braeley

Some advice…make the holes big so you can easily pull the thread through, because tugging it has caused us to stab ourselves with the needle and draw blood…

July 9, 2015 at 8:32 pm Reply

Oh no, you’ve definitely got to be careful with sharp needles!! I’ve got a few “battle wounds” myself from over the years! ;)

I mentioned in the post that I use a larger embroidery needle which makes much larger holes than a standard sewing needle and is larger and easier to handle itself as well. So, I would recommend using an embroidery needle, especially for any project using embroidery floss/thread! Thanks so much! :)

July 24, 2015 at 11:04 am Reply
  • briweicreative

Oh no! I just found this again and remembered that I forgot to take pictures of the ones I did!

I found this a little before Christmas and decided to try making trees instead of hearts, but that was a bust, ha-ha! But I did end up making snowflakes instead–they turned out awesome! So thank you for making this and sharing it (even though it was over two years ago, oops)!

March 15, 2016 at 7:39 am Reply

Hahaha well you’re welcome!! Now you’ve got me thinking of ways to make Christmas trees… hmmm…! I bet the snowflakes were adorable, that’s a great idea!! Thanks for the comment, so glad you liked my cards (and yes, it’s from two years ago, but it’s still my most popular blog post!!)! :)

March 15, 2016 at 5:44 pm Reply
  • Almu

I love it!!! I am going to make this for my mother’s birthday.
    Please, could you tell where did you get the font you used? It is completely adorable.
    Thanks!

May 28, 2016 at 2:53 am Reply
  • Your comments make my day, let me know what you think! :)