Thrift Style Thursday – Pretty Woman

March 6, 2014

Hello, friends!  Are you ready for some movie-inspired, thrifted fashion?  Well, get your pantyhose on, ’cause it’s time for an ode to one of my all-time favorite movies: Pretty Woman!

#TST-movie-pretty-woman-polka-dot-dress_title

Okay, so I realize this is probably not the most appropriate character to portray, and there are many, many things wrong with this movie, but I love Julia Roberts and I just can’t help the fact that this is still (and probably always will be) one of my all-time favorite movies.  Phew, confession over, time to enjoy one of my favorite outfits from the movie: the polka dot dress!

#TST-movie-pretty-woman-polka-dot-dress_01#TST-movie-pretty-woman-polka-dot-dress_02

I actually thrifted this dress a couple years ago and did a quick refashion on it, shortening the hem; but, when I heard the theme for today’s Thrift Style Thursday, I knew it was perfect!  Ooh, ooh and I “did” my hair for you guys!  Sadly, I couldn’t find a white hat for the outfit, but I do have the white gloves and I borrowed my mom’s vintage purse.

Julia-Roberts-Pretty-Woman-polka-dot-dress#TST-movie-pretty-woman-polka-dot-dress_03

The details: pink & white vintage polka dot dress, refashioned (thrifted) // vintage leather purse (borrowed from mom) // nude flats (Steve Madden, old) // white gloves (from a Halloween costume years ago) // drop pearl earrings (old)

#TST-movie-pretty-woman-polka-dot-dress_04

“Pretty woman, walking down the street
Pretty woman, the kind I like to meet
Pretty woman
I don’t believe you, you’re not the truth
No one could look as good as you
Mercy”

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.  Don’t forget to check out the other Thrift Style Thursday girls to see which fabulous movie characters they’re channeling this week!

Zhenya // Being Zhenya
Martyna // Spoolish
Miche // Buttons and Birdcages
Nout // Sandpaper Kisses
Justine // The Two Cent Chick
Jackline // Sincerely Miss J
by Alex // Snippets with Alex
Megan // Eclecticity
Sheri // Confessions of a Refashionista

If you could choose your favorite movie character to portray, who would it be??  As always, thanks for reading!  Kristi :)

• Jackie and Marilyn

I don’t like her as a character, but I will always enjoy channeling Summer Finn from (500) Days of Summer. Which is ultimately just channeling Zooey Deschanel, but I still love it.
    Your outfit is adorable. Very pretty woman! – Brianna

March 6, 2014 at 8:34 am Reply

Yes, I love Zooey Deschanel’s style in pretty much everything! Great choice!
      And thank you, I’m blushing!! ;)

March 6, 2014 at 9:48 am Reply
  • geetikawalia

Wow…That’s a very pretty dress and you look gorgeous! :)
    Geetika | geetikawalia.wordpress.com
    xo

March 6, 2014 at 8:45 am Reply

Thank you so much, you’re so sweet!! :)

March 6, 2014 at 9:50 am Reply

I absolutely adore this! 100% perfect. That dress looks amazing on you. You’ve even got the hair down! :)
    -Alex of http://snippetswithalex.com

March 6, 2014 at 10:44 am Reply

Wow, thank you!! I had a lot of fun and I really love this dress, glad you like it, too! :)

March 6, 2014 at 12:56 pm Reply
  • Confessions of a Refashionista

Love, love love this look on you! Your hair is fab & the dress fits you wonderfully!
    *I have coveted that polka dot dress since I first saw Pretty Woman when I was teenager…and with the faults of that film it still remains one of my fave vegging out flicks ;)

March 6, 2014 at 10:45 am Reply

Thank you!!! Yes, the polka dot dress from the movie is the best and I do love watching this movie. I simply choose to look at its good points rather than its flaws haha! ;)

March 6, 2014 at 12:58 pm Reply

This is so awesome! We are beginning to enjoy the Thrift Style posts so much now. Each week seems to get better than the last. We also LOHVE pretty woman and truly Kristi you are! And the hair look so badass!
    You completely did justice to it all! Kudos!
    Love, Wink n Pout
    Blog , App

March 6, 2014 at 12:43 pm Reply

Thank you! I’m so glad you like the Thrift Style Thursday posts, it just goes to show that fashion doesn’t have to cost! ;)
      And thank you so much for all your wonderful compliments, you are always so sweet!! :)

March 6, 2014 at 1:02 pm Reply

Well you know I automatically am going to be obsessed with your dress since it is polka dots, aka the best pattern ever created. You really did an amazing job interpreting her look from the movie, right down to the gloves, clutch and earrings! Oh, and the hair looks fab!

March 6, 2014 at 2:23 pm Reply

Haha I just knew you would appreciate the polka dots! ;)
      Thank you, I love these earrings and don’t get to wear them often enough! :)

March 6, 2014 at 3:45 pm Reply
  • sistasfromcali

I love it! You did such a good job on this outfit. It looks amazing!

March 6, 2014 at 3:14 pm Reply

Thank you so much! I had lots of fun with it! You girls should join Thrift Style Thursday sometime, I’d love to see what you would do with the themes! We’re all on twitter, that’s where we come up with the themes :)

March 6, 2014 at 3:48 pm Reply
      • sistasfromcali

We would love to but we don’t have twitter. We only have Instagram. But we are totally down to do a thrifted look soon.

March 6, 2014 at 4:15 pm Reply

Awesome! You don’t have to have Twitter, that’s just the easiest way to find all the TST ladies. Let me know if you ever want to join in!! :)

March 6, 2014 at 5:25 pm Reply
          • sistasfromcali

Oh okay. Could you tells us what the theme is for this Thursday. We would love to put a look together for it.

March 8, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Absolutely! This Thursday is “laid back;” I can’t wait to see what you come up with and I’ll make sure to tell the other girls to link to you as well!! :)

March 8, 2014 at 4:44 pm
  • drowninmelancholy

Aaww, polka dot dresses make me nostalgic. As a kid, I had a beautiful Pink polka dot dress! I loved dancing in it. Reminds me always of the summer :) Although I am not a big fan of polka dots, I love cute dresses with polka dots :) The gloves look so classy btw!

March 6, 2014 at 4:38 pm Reply

I used to love my twirly dresses as a kid, too, and I still do!! ;)
      Thank you! :)

March 6, 2014 at 5:26 pm Reply
  • ash_and_witty

What a fun idea. I love the bright red. I had short hair like yours and I’m in the process of growing it out. Already miss it :)

March 6, 2014 at 4:54 pm Reply

Thank you!! I love my hair but I always go through phases of wanting to grow it out, but I never make it, I just chop it off again haha!

March 6, 2014 at 5:27 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this movie/dress/character! Love it!
    Zhenya

March 6, 2014 at 6:04 pm Reply
  • SweetCandyDreamer

Such a cute outfit! :-)

March 8, 2014 at 9:56 am Reply
  • emilygeraghty

That dress is AMAZING. Especially with that belt. I’m so jealous you found that at a thrift store.

March 11, 2014 at 7:45 am Reply

Thank you!!! I thrifted this dress forever ago and never really knew what to do with it until I realized how much it reminds me of the “Pretty Woman” dress. Luckily, I live in a town with a fair amount of old folks whose stuff ends up at the thrift stores! ;)

March 11, 2014 at 10:21 am Reply
  • spoolish

You look stunning! Better than Julia Roberts! I feel like this look is so you, the dress, the gloves, they, well, fit you like a glove! Vintage perfection! I think you should consider doing a 60s style photoshoot in this dress!

March 12, 2014 at 10:14 pm Reply

Wow, thank you so much! I would love to do a vintage photo shoot! I have always loved 50’s and 60’s fashion and I think it would be so fun to do the whole get-up haha! :)

March 13, 2014 at 7:57 am Reply