Playing with Pastels – A Refashion Love Story {Thrift Style Thursday}

March 20, 2014

Hello, friends, Happy Thrift Style Thursday and Happy Spring Equinox (i.e. the first day of spring)!!!  Today’s theme is (appropriately): pastels.  I have to admit that when pastels first started coming back into style, I immediately thought of the “baby” blues, pinks and yellows of childhood (and the 90’s), and grimaced.  But, given much more attractive names like mint and lavender, and matured a bit, pastels aren’t so bad!  Case in point: this “baby pink” tunic I refashioned from a vintage dress.

#TST-Pastels-pink-tunic-mint-jeggings_01

Here is the “Before” photo of the dress (please excuse the lower quality, it was taken with my older camera):

#TST-pastel-pink-dress-refashion-before

As you can see, the dress had long sleeves, a much longer hem and a couple stains along the bottom of the hem as well.  I actually thrifted this dress a couple years ago, but after starting the refashion, I got stuck at hemming and removing the sleeves.  I had modernized the dress, but I knew it could still be cuter.  Luckily, inspiration struck when I pulled this dress out of my closet for today’s Thrift Style Thursday theme, and I turned it into a dip hem tunic!

#TST-Pastels-pink-tunic-mint-jeggings_02

I simply cut the desired hem shape I wanted and used my trusty serger to finish the edges.  I wanted to keep the tunic as casual as possible so leaving the hem with a bit of an unfinished look really gave it the right vibe.  I am now totally in love with my new-to-me tunic!

I decided to play up the pastel theme by pairing this tunic with my favorite pastel blue/mint jeggings.  I got these jeggings at Walmart last year for a killer $10 and I have worn the heck out of them ever since!  I also added a bunch of fun, colorful accessories in honor of spring, including two giant plastic flower rings taken from the cupcakes at my mom’s birthday celebration this past weekend.

#TST-Pastels-pink-tunic-turquoise-earrings#TST-Pastels-pink-tunic-mint-jeggings-accessories#TST-Pastels-mint-jeggings-white-Vans-pink-laces

The details: pastel pink tunic (thrifted, refashioned) // pastel blue/mint jeggings (Walmart) // white & hemp tennis shoes (Vans outlet store) // turquoise earrings (gift) // turquoise bobby pins (Target) // beaded bracelets (old) // braided wrap bracelets (handmade) // plastic daisy & pansy rings (cupcakes from Sam’s Club)

#TST-Pastels-pink-tunic-mint-jeggings_03

What’s your take on pastels?  Do you love them in your wardrobe or are they only for Easter??

Don’t forget to check out these other fabulous thrifting ladies to see their pastel perfection:

Zhenya // Being Zhenya
Martyna // Spoolish
Miche // Buttons and Birdcages
Nout // Sandpaper Kisses
Justine // The Two Cent Chick
Jackline // Sincerely Miss J
Alex // Snippets with Alex
Megan // Eclecticity
Sheri // Confessions of a Refashionista
Jacki & Lesli // Sistas from Cali
Erika // Erika’s Style Diary

Psssst!  Are you a fan of thrift shopping?  Do you like Thrift Style Thursdays??  Well, now’s your chance to get in on the fun by helping us choose our next Thrift Style Thursday themes!  Simply head over to Sheri’s blog, Confessions of a Refashionista, to vote on upcoming theme options.  Check out her “Gone Thrifting” page – HERE – to cast your vote for our next month’s round of Thrift Style Thursday themes!  If you’re a thrift shopper and a blogger yourself, feel free to contact any one of us if you want to join in on the thrifty fun!

As always, thanks for reading!  – Kristi :)

• Confessions of a Refashionista

I am smitten with every single piece of your outfit! …and I’m totally pinching your brilliant refashioning idea ;) I have a HUGE vintage dress that’s been lurking in my stash waiting for the right inspiration, cheers!

March 20, 2014 at 8:16 am Reply

Thank you so much! And pinch away – it’s my newest favorite refashion!! Can’t wait to see your vintage dress transformed!! ;)

March 20, 2014 at 8:45 am Reply
  • drowninmelancholy

I love pastel, especially in summer :) they remind me of tasty ice cream colors. Although I like to wear rather rock chic clothes, I tend to wear anything in summer :) And love your outfit :) I love mint and pastel pink.

March 20, 2014 at 8:42 am Reply

Pastels are definitely perfect for summer, and I think it’s fun to incorporate a pastel item in your wardrobe for mixing things up!! Thanks! :)

March 20, 2014 at 8:47 am Reply
  • Erika ~ Erika's Style Diary

That is a fabulous tunic – what an awesome transformation! I wish I had the skills (and vision) to do something like that. Those mint jeggings are great too. Your whole outfit makes me think of Spring, I love it! :)

Thanks for welcoming me into the club! :)

March 20, 2014 at 9:10 am Reply

Thank you so much!! I had a lot of fun with this outfit and the refashion! :)
      You’re welcome! ;)

March 20, 2014 at 9:27 am Reply
  • Jackie and Marilyn

I LOVE how you refashion that dress into a tunic! I wish I had the sewing abilities to do that and the eye to see repurposing potential in items. Very cute!

As for pastel, I am ALL about the mint always! Otherwise, I tend to avoid them since I have such olive-toned skin – it usually makes me look orange! – Brianna

March 20, 2014 at 9:27 am Reply

Thank you! One of my favorite reasons to thrift is to see the potential in garments otherwise unwanted and unloved – I just love transforming “junk” into treasure!!
      Mint is definitely my favorite pastel, but you’re right, as with any color, it’s all about finding the right tone for your coloring! :)

March 20, 2014 at 9:34 am Reply
  • gennyloves

I work at Anthropologie up here in Canada, and we’ve got a LOT of pastels for spring. I don’t know that I can pull them off – they wash out my pale skin. But you’ve got a great little smooch of sun on you and it looks lovely!

March 20, 2014 at 10:03 am Reply

Thank you so much, I love that phrase, a “smooch of sun!” I actually have been shamefully neglecting to put on sunscreen because it’s felt so nice to be in the sun, but I’ve already gotten one sunburn and it’s not even close to summer!
      Anyway, thanks, and I think anyone can pull off pastels, you just have to find the right shade. I bet you would look great in a dusky lavender!! :)

March 20, 2014 at 10:06 am Reply
      • gennyloves

I agree – lavender is just about the only shade. My BF is great at picking out clothes for me. And one of my favourite blouses is one he picked out, and is a lacey lavender one from H&M!

March 20, 2014 at 10:07 am Reply

Ooh a bf who can shop, sounds like a keeper! ;) And that sounds like a beautiful blouse!! :)

March 20, 2014 at 10:11 am Reply
  • spoolish

Love your pants and those shoes are darling! Wish we had some Spring-like weather over here. Great refashion by the way, usually when I put scissors to anything it just fails miserably. xx Martyna

March 20, 2014 at 11:18 am Reply

Thank you!! Yes, I can’t really complain about the weather here, it’s been beautiful; I’ll send warm thoughts your way! ;)
      And I don’t believe you for a second, you are very crafty and talented, I’m sure you could refashion with the best of them!! :)

March 20, 2014 at 11:26 am Reply

Absolutely gorgeous! Loving the mix of pastels!
    -Alex of http://snippetswithalex.com

March 20, 2014 at 1:01 pm Reply

Oooo.. two pastels together! That is a really lovely combination :) And the jewelry is just plain charming. And the shoe laces are such a nice touch!
    Love, Wink n Pout
    Blog , App

March 20, 2014 at 3:31 pm Reply

Thank you, thank you!! I even added the shoelaces myself to match the hot pink accents on the shoes! :)

March 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm Reply

You’re so talented…what a great refashion!! Love that hem on you. And $10 jeggings?! So cute! The bobby pins look so cute in your hair :)

March 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm Reply

Thank you!!! I am loving this dip hem, too, and the best part is it’s perfect to wear with leggings! Speaking of, these jeggings are so comfy and great, check out your Walmart, they had longer pants for fall/winter, too! :)

March 20, 2014 at 4:50 pm Reply

Those capris are so adorable. Mint is one of my favorites. I just got a thrifted pair of mint shorts I can hardly wait to wear. It’s just not quite warm enough in Wisconsin yet :)

March 20, 2014 at 7:23 pm Reply

Thank you!! Your shorts sound adorable, can’t wait to see them on your blog (maybe you can wear them with tights until it warms up??)! :)

March 20, 2014 at 8:27 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

That refashioned shirt is beautiful! And so are you Kristi!

March 20, 2014 at 7:35 pm Reply
  • FashionistaUnderground

So cute. I’m in love with what you did with the shirt.

March 21, 2014 at 3:19 am Reply

Thank you! I wasn’t sure how well the dress-to-shirt refashion was going to work, so I’m glad it turned out so well haha! ;)

March 21, 2014 at 6:22 am Reply
  • dapperdolly

Cool mellow chic style with stunning use of colour and lovely photography as always.
    x

March 21, 2014 at 6:06 am Reply

WHOA. you are amazing. Love the refashion – it’s amazing. And the colors are perfect.

March 22, 2014 at 7:37 pm Reply

Thank you!! I am super excited for spring and spring colors! :)

March 22, 2014 at 7:45 pm Reply
  • Kristi’s Playing with Pastels | Refashion Nation

[…] Kristi, creator of the awesomely named Alligator Toe, proves that this season’s pretty pastel trend can easily be thrifted & refashioned: […]

March 28, 2014 at 7:40 am Reply
  • THE BLONDE PERFECTIONIST

You can never go wrong with pastels! Just amazing! x

April 3, 2014 at 2:56 pm Reply

Thank you so much! I never used to be a big fan of pastels, but I’ve realized recently that I own more pastel than I thought and I love it!! ;)

April 3, 2014 at 3:41 pm Reply
  • Hi Ho Hi Lo – a refashion to go | Awesomesauce & Asshattery

[…] I spied Kristi’s quick fix for a dowdy vintage dress I knew I had finally found the refashioning key to unlocking the frumpy frock that had been […]

April 25, 2014 at 10:27 pm Reply
  • talker blogger

Love the creativity !

July 23, 2014 at 6:35 am Reply
  • Your comments make my day, let me know what you think! :)