Thrift Style Thursday – The “Mocktail” Dress

April 17, 2014

Hello, friends!  Okay, so I’m going to admit that I thought I was super clever, and I was totally gonna be like, “I officially coin the term “mocktail dress!”  But then I did a quick search of the internets, and… it’s been used before.  Oh well, I’ve never heard it before so I’m just going to take credit anyway!  ;)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-jersey-dress-neon_title

Trend setting or not, let’s get to the outfit!  The theme for today’s Thrift Style Thursday is “Cocktail Dresses,” but since I rarely have occasion to wear actual cocktail dresses, or formal wear of any kind, I decided to change things up a bit for my post.  I do, however, love dresses, especially comfy dresses with pockets, which is why this dress is pretty much my ideal.  Can you believe I found it at Goodwill for only $8??  It is originally from Target, and it’s made of an amazingly soft jersey fabric with elastic at the waist to give it shape.  I have already worn it a bunch, typically with tennis shoes and few accessories, but I decided to jazz it up a bit to elevate it to “mocktail” status.

Thrift-Style-Thursday-jersey-dress-neon_02Thrift-Style-Thursday-jersey-dress-neon_03

My absolute favorite part of the dress – aside from the material, the cut and the pockets! – is this super fun neon pink zipper accent on the back of the dress.  Oh, and that’s my tattoo; I’m a taurus!

Thrift-Style-Thursday-jersey-dress-neon-pink-zipper

Also, you may have noticed I got a haircut – I love it!  I have been in desperate need of more than a trim for a while, but this week I finally had the time to visit my hairstylist, and, as always, she has done an amazing job!  Don’t you just love the feeling of a good haircut??

Thrift-Style-Thursday-jersey-dress-neon-mint_01

The details: gray jersey knit dress (Target via Goodwill) // dark brown leather heeled sandals (Target) // teal elastic and tan leather belt (Old Navy) // mint and gold braided chain necklace (Forever 21) // neon pink stud earrings (H&M) // gold belt bangle (ModCloth) // neon pink aviator sunnies (Target Dollar Spot)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-jersey-dress-neon-mint_02Thrift-Style-Thursday-jersey-dress-leather-sandals-heels

Well, now that we’re back on track, don’t forget to vote for next month’s Thrift Style Thursday themes on Sheri’s “Gone Thrifting” page and, before you go, check out these ladies’ fabulous cocktail attire:

Zhenya // Being Zhenya
Martyna // Spoolish
Miche // Buttons and Birdcages
Nout // Sandpaper Kisses
Justine // The Two Cent Chick
Jackline // Sincerely Miss J
Alex // Snippets with Alex
Megan // Eclecticity
Sheri // Confessions of a Refashionista
Jacki & Lesli // Sistas from Cali
Erika // Erika’s Style Diary

So, does this “mocktail” dress make the cut??  Let me know what you think, and, as always, thanks for reading! – Kristi :)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-jersey-dress-neon_01

• Confessions of a Refashionista

You are an accessorizing queen! The dress is fab but it’s all of the little extras that make the outfit! :D

April 17, 2014 at 8:06 am Reply

Thank you!! I am a very detail-oriented person, so it’s the little details of putting an outfit together that bring me joy – thanks for noticing! :)

April 17, 2014 at 8:09 am Reply
  • Erika ~ Erika's Style Diary

I have never heard of the term mocktail dress either, but I like it! Haha. That dress is too cute and looks so comfortable! I love the pop of pink with the zipper and your corresponding pink accessories, especially those smoking sunglasses! :) Great look!

April 17, 2014 at 9:13 am Reply

Thank you so much!! I’m starting a trend – the mocktail dress is going to be the next big fashion hit! ;)

April 17, 2014 at 9:21 am Reply
  • sistasfromcali

Lovely dress.
    The pink zipper in the back gives it a little extra.

April 17, 2014 at 10:44 am Reply

Thanks, I love dresses with exposed zippers and the pink on this one is just so much fun! :)

April 17, 2014 at 10:51 am Reply
  • Draped in Cloudlets

Very pretty dress (-:

April 17, 2014 at 11:40 am Reply
  • Jackline

Okay,no way!! You got that dress at Goodwill, it’s so nice! And the expose zipper in that pink! Always love seeing what you ladies come up with!!

April 17, 2014 at 11:59 am Reply

Hahaha thanks, I know right?! I love the treasures you can find thrift shopping! It’s what brings me back every time! ;)

April 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm Reply

That’s okay, I’ll still credit you the official maker of that term. Lol. Great look!
    -Alex of http://snippetswithalex.com

April 17, 2014 at 2:29 pm Reply
  • palmtreesandpeas

I love dresses with pockets too! Can’t really put my finger on why…

April 17, 2014 at 6:01 pm Reply

Thanks! Aren’t pockets on dresses the best?? ;)

April 17, 2014 at 8:40 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

Love it girl! What an adorable dress on you!
    ~Zhenya

April 17, 2014 at 6:43 pm Reply

Let it be known now and forever that mocktail dresses are the best!!! I seriously love everything about this, from the comfy yet cute dress (with pockets!!) to the necklace, belt, shoes…it’s all perfection :) And your hair looks adorable; your stylist did a great job!

April 18, 2014 at 8:00 am Reply

Here, here and a hip hop hooray for good measure!! ;)
      Thank you, thank you! This dress is my new favorite; I have already started the hunt for my next super comfy jersey dress b/c I know I will wear this one out fast haha! :)

April 18, 2014 at 1:27 pm Reply
  • buttonsandbirdcages

You definitely make the cut (and you could totally wear this to a cocktail party!) Great find, it really does look super comfy (and ps you have a tattoo! who knew lol)
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

April 18, 2014 at 7:21 pm Reply

Why thank you! This dress is the comfiest, I’d be happy to wear it to a cocktail party! ;)
      (And I love my tattoo! It’s not in a very obvious spot – on purpose – but it has made a few slight appearances on my blog here :))

April 18, 2014 at 11:50 pm Reply

I love the idea of the mocktail dress, especially a gorgeous jersey dress in a color as versatile as grey! What a lovely outfit for going out or any occasion, really. And love your tattoo! it’s super cute!

April 19, 2014 at 6:10 pm Reply

I know right?! The mocktail dress is officially “in!” ;)
      Thank you!! I love my tattoo, too! :)

April 19, 2014 at 7:05 pm Reply
  • Lysa@MonkeyAndSquish

Super cute as always! Love all the pops of colors and seriously who doesn’t love a dress with pockets?!?!

April 20, 2014 at 8:39 pm Reply
  • Fashion Galleria

Simple yet stylish. Love the dress and the color yes it’s my favorite too. :-D

April 21, 2014 at 11:44 pm Reply
  • Meghan

The dress is sooo cute. Love the color..love gray. Thank you for the idea of accessorizing it with green which one of my fav color as well. I’m into thrifting and I’m now starting to like few online thrift shops on eBay like americanfashionfox.com.

Like your new haircut. I really really wish to have that hairstyle coz my cousin look so pretty using different hairband with the said hairstyle.

April 23, 2014 at 8:34 am Reply

Thank you! I haven’t done much online thrift shopping because I like to see the quality of the items in person, but I’d definitely be interested in checking some out! :)

April 23, 2014 at 11:08 am Reply
  • Lady Kate

I totally love the dress & adore your shoes!!! x

April 25, 2014 at 1:01 pm Reply

Thank you!! I will admit I don’t wear these shoes often, but I do love them! ;)

April 25, 2014 at 7:29 pm Reply