Thrift Style Thursday – Deer Distressed

May 8, 2014

Hello, friends, Happy Thrift Style Thursday!  Today’s theme is animal prints.  At first, I didn’t think I would have anything to wear for this post since animal prints really aren’t very me, but then inspiration struck out of the blue one night this week when I remembered one of my favorite sweaters with an animal print… of sorts.

Thrift-Style-Thursday-deer-sweater-distressed-jeans-leopard_title

It’s my very own me-made raglan top sewed with the comfiest jersey knit, deer print sweatshirt fabric!  I made this top a couple years ago and I absolutely love it, which brings me to my next topic: Me-Made-May!  I have loved following bloggers sharing their handmade and refashioned outfits every May and this year I finally decided to participate.  I officially pledge to wear and share at least one handmade or refashioned item each week for the duration of May.  (Okay, I know it’s not a lot, but it’s my first time participating and May is always a crazy month for me!)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-Me-Made-May

I paired my me-made sweater with some of my favorite distressed denim and added a leopard print belt and my trusty leopard Keds for good measure.  Of course, I only realized as I was putting this post together that deer and leopard probably wouldn’t make the best companions in the wild, but stranger things have happened, right?  Besides, it’s rather aesthetically pleasing, don’t you think??  ;)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-deer-sweater-distressed-jeans-leopard_01Thrift-Style-Thursday-deer-sweater-distressed-jeans-leopard_03

Oh, and, uh, confession time: I totally did not mean to cut the back of the sweatshirt upside down on purpose; but, after it was all cut and sewed together, I realized that it helps me distinguish the back from the front without having to sew on a tag.  I like to think of it as a happy accident; plus, it adds character and makes it more custom/unique.

Thrift-Style-Thursday-deer-sweater-distressed-jeans-leopard_04

The details: deer print sweater (handmade) // distressed jeans (American Eagle) // leopard print Keds (Off Broadway Shoes) // leopard print belt (borrowed from mom) // mixed metal bangles (old ??) // vintage gold watch (Savers)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-distressed-jeans-leopard-keds

Are you a fan of animal prints of any kind?  Wanna choose your favorite trend or print for our next Thrift Style Thursday theme??  Well, now you can vote for our next month’s themes over at Sheri’s “Gone Thrifting” page to decide what we style for the month of June.  Don’t forget to check out these fabulously thrifty ladies and their animal-inspired ensembles:

Buttons and Birdcages // Spoolish // Sandpaper Kisses // Sincerely Miss J // Confessions of a Refashionista // The Two Cent Chick // Snippets with Alex // Eclecticity // Being Zhenya // Erika’s Style Diary // Sistas From Cali // Bethie the Boo // Rachel’s Lookbook // Muddy Flowers // Lipstick and Yarn

As always, thanks for reading! – Kristi :)

• Confessions of a Refashionista

ha ha ha! Now that’s a clever take on the animal print! ;)

May 8, 2014 at 6:37 am Reply

Such a cute top!! I think it totally counts as animal print, it’s a bit more whimsical! I suppose you are right, deer and leopard might not get along so well together in the wild – but they sure work well together in a fashion sense!

May 8, 2014 at 6:46 am Reply

Thank you!! I had a lot of fun this week! ;)

May 8, 2014 at 11:23 am Reply
  • sistasfromcali

so cute! we love it. :)

May 8, 2014 at 7:59 am Reply
  • buttonsandbirdcages

Gosh, you and the girl from Lipstick and Yarn are so darn clever! When I saw animal print I really only thought of it in the traditional sense. Love that deer sweater – you made it?! You rock!

May 8, 2014 at 8:09 am Reply

Haha thanks, Miche! I was thinking of traditional animal prints, too, and I didn’t think I’d have anything to post, but then I remembered this sweater at the last minute!! :)

May 8, 2014 at 11:25 am Reply

So cute! I love that deer print and your shoes! :)
    -Alex of http://snippetswithalex.com

May 8, 2014 at 10:19 am Reply

Thank you so much! I fell in love with this deer print fabric as soon as I saw it at the fabric store – it’s also super soft and comfy!! :)

May 8, 2014 at 11:28 am Reply
  • GoJaneBLOG

We’re all about mixing prints around here. We love the leopard + deer print combo. So cute!

May 8, 2014 at 11:55 am Reply

Thank you so much!! I am pretty excited myself about mixing “animal” prints! ;)

May 8, 2014 at 12:22 pm Reply

Well aren’t you just so clever, miss thang?! Hahaha I actually wish I would have thought to do something like this, but I’m glad you did because this is such a cute look! Props to you for doing Me Made May…if I did that, I would have exactly one item (a pitiful green knitted scarf that looks like a 2-year-old made it) haha :)

May 8, 2014 at 4:18 pm Reply

Hahaha thank you!! I am actually nervous about Me Made May, so I only “pledged” to do one outfit per week haha! But I am excited, too, because I have a million sewing projects on my table so I hope it is the kick in the butt I need!! ;)

May 8, 2014 at 7:21 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

So awesome and original! Love it!
    ~Zhenya

May 8, 2014 at 7:05 pm Reply
  • Erika ~ Erika's Style Diary

I love that there are so many ways to interpret “animal print”! That top is too cute and that is so awesome that you made it! Looks great with the leopard print too!

May 9, 2014 at 9:04 am Reply

Thanks!! Yes, this week’s theme turned out so fun seeing everyone’s interpretation of animal prints! :)

May 9, 2014 at 12:08 pm Reply
  • Jackie

Haha, that is a neat take on animal print. That shirt is def. unique! And you know I love leopard print period, so I’m loving the shoes!! Can’t wait for next week, I know you will pull it off well

May 9, 2014 at 4:31 pm Reply

Thank you!! I love my leopard print kicks! ;)
      I am exited for next week, I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!! :)

May 9, 2014 at 4:54 pm Reply
  • drowninmelancholy

I love all kinds of animal print, especially Leo <3 And your pullover is so cute!

May 11, 2014 at 3:18 pm Reply

You are so cute! I love this! and that you made it too…impressive;)

May 12, 2014 at 5:49 pm Reply

Thank you! It was actually a very simple pattern and the sweatshirt material was surprisingly easy to work with :)

May 12, 2014 at 7:35 pm Reply