Trail Blazer {Thrift Style Thursday}

May 22, 2014

Hello, friends, Happy Thursday!!!  I am so stoked about today’s Thrift Style Thursday theme, I just can’t wait for you to see……..

Okay, story time:  When I first saw the theme “Brilliant Blazers,” I was apprehensive at best, they’re just not really my thing, but I’m game for anything, and I thought it would be nice to find a blazer I like (but I doubted it would happen).  Then, earlier this week, I had a pretty crap day at work, and I was running out of time to find an outfit, let alone take photos, edit and post; but, I decided to stop at the thrift store on the way home from work anyway.  I grabbed a few blazers off the rack, still doubting I would like any of them, when I tried on this beauty – a tailored, black Isaac Mizrahi for Target blazer that fit like it was made for me.  Just like that, I was sold!

I also found this super comfy, bright red-orange stripe top, and I happened to be wearing my favorite boyfriend jeans, and just like that, an outfit was born.  I ran home, threw on some sandals and accessories, and I was ready to own that blazer like a boss!  Haha no really, though, I never thought a blazer could feel so bad ass; now I get it.  Thank you Thrift Style Thursday for showing me the error of my ways, I am officially a blazer convert!

I have to say, I think my two favorite things about Thrift Style Thursdays are seeing all of the amazing, creative, gorgeous, fun outfits all of these fantastic women come up with each week, and the fact that it challenges me to up my own style game!  I love that each week is something totally different, and sometimes it coincides with my own tastes and preferences and sometimes it doesn’t, at first, but then I turn it into a game to see if I can make each theme work for me.  I never would have thought I could pull off grunge, and I certainly didn’t think I would find a blazer I liked, let alone LOVED, for this week, but lo and behold, I did, and, if I may say so myself, I think I kinda rocked it!  ;)

The details: black blazer (Isaac Mizrahi for Target, thrifted) // stripe shirt (14th and Union, thrifted) // light wash boyfriend jeans (American Eagle) // black wedge sandals (Charlotte Russe, old) // orange sunnies (Walmart) // black stud earrings (H&M) // bracelet (gift)

Now that I’ve professed my love for blazers, you have gotta go see how my Thrift Style Thursday gal-pals are stylin’ their own trail-blazing looks!  And remember, go vote for our themes for the month of June over at Sheri’s “Gone Thrifting” page (and pick some good ones)!!  ;)

Buttons and Birdcages // Spoolish // Sandpaper Kisses // Sincerely Miss J // Confessions of a Refashionista // The Two Cent Chick // Snippets with Alex // Eclecticity // Being Zhenya // Erika’s Style Diary // Sistas From Cali // Bethie the Boo // Rachel’s Lookbook // Muddy Flowers // Lipstick and Yarn

As always, thanks for reading!  – Kristi :)

• Brittany

I love it! It’s perfect for you! I also agree with you about the themes. They are really helping to grow my fashion repetoire and step out of the box a little – but also be creative. Great post Kristi!

May 22, 2014 at 8:07 am Reply

Thank you, Brittany!! Yes, it’s like we get to “try on” styles that we wouldn’t normally attempt! It’s so much fun to play around with fashion and see what everyone comes up with! :)

May 22, 2014 at 8:17 am Reply

That blazer is a great fit on you! I love the striped t-shirt too!

May 22, 2014 at 8:08 am Reply

Thanks!! I really couldn’t believe I’d found such a great blazer that fit so well, and for only $6.49 at my local Salvation Army, too! :)

May 22, 2014 at 8:19 am Reply
  • Confessions of a Refashionista

Yep, you are rockin’ that blazer (& what a freaking fab collar it has!) …I always love the looks you come up with – this one is yet another one I shall be copying! ;)

May 22, 2014 at 8:21 am Reply

Thank you! The collar IS awesome, I love that this blazer has almost more of a tuxedo style to it!! I know you will rock this look, too! :)

May 22, 2014 at 8:49 am Reply
  • Erika ~ Erika's Style Diary

You definitely rocked that blazer – it looks fab on you! I love that about TST too, how it gets me out of my comfort zone sometimes and gives me opportunities to try new styles that I may never have considered before.

May 22, 2014 at 8:52 am Reply

Thank you!! Yes, yes, and yes, I totally agree! :)

May 22, 2014 at 8:54 am Reply
  • adventuresofalovebird

I have to admit, I feel the same you did about blazers. I have never in my life found one I liked but now I feel like I need to go and try! Outfit looks lovely!

May 22, 2014 at 9:08 am Reply

Thank you so much! I think it’s definitely a matter of finding a blazer that fits well and suits your personality. I have to admit, though, that I am still surprised at how much I love this blazer!! :)

May 22, 2014 at 9:32 am Reply
  • marlenameow

Darling! I love the sandals with this look. I have an oversized blazer I throw on over dresses once in awhile, but other than that I’m pretty limited in the blazer world. I think I’m going to have to rethink my stance!

May 22, 2014 at 10:38 am Reply

Thank you! Ooh an oversized blazer sounds fun, too, and at least you’ve got started! I’m definitely enjoying my first foray into the “world of blazers” haha! ;)

May 22, 2014 at 11:10 am Reply
  • Jackie and Marilyn

Way to rock that blazer! – Brianna

May 22, 2014 at 12:21 pm Reply

You rock that blazer, you sassy, sassy lady. I loveeee what you wrote about TST and I totally agree! Everyone inspires me so much each week and it’s definitely helped expand my outlook on style, that’s for sure.
    The blazer really does look like it was made for you! And I died laughing when I read the “like a boss” part because whenever I wear a blazer to work I’m totally that saying in my head while doing the mundane things I do each day. Make coffee…like a boss. Print that spreadsheet…like a freakin’ boss.
    Great job girlie :)

May 22, 2014 at 4:09 pm Reply

Hahaha omg is it too soon you say I love you, Justine?! You crack me up, lady!! I love TST’s so much for challenging me and introducing me to all of you!!!
      And I’m so glad you caught my “like a boss” comment b/c I was so reciting it while taking photos and editing the photos and writing the post haha! I want to wear my new blazer all the time now so I can be a lady boss haha!! ;)

May 22, 2014 at 6:08 pm Reply
  • leiaanne

I really love your shoes! :)

May 22, 2014 at 11:56 pm Reply

Thanks! These are actually an older pair I’ve had forever, but I love them because they’re so comfortable! ;)

May 23, 2014 at 6:04 am Reply
  • sistasfromcali

We love this look! It’s so cute and really well put together. We especially love the red striped shirt. It gives you the perfect amount of color so you look awesome and chic! Great job this week!!! :)

May 23, 2014 at 8:18 pm Reply

Thank you, thank you!! I love this striped shirt, too! I totally wasn’t expecting to find it at the thrift store this week, but I’ve been looking for something just like it, so I was stoked when I found it!! :)

May 23, 2014 at 10:52 pm Reply
  • whatwewear

love the wedges! great look!!

May 26, 2014 at 2:25 am Reply

too gorgeous! I love blazers + stripes!!! a perfect outfit for going out, running errands, and the office of course!

May 27, 2014 at 6:33 pm Reply

Thank you!! I am so happy with my new blazer! :)

May 27, 2014 at 7:57 pm Reply