Thrift Style Thursday – Totally 90’s!

May 29, 2014

Hello, friends, and welcome to this totally 90’s edition of Thrift Style Thursday!

This post is actually a late, late addition for me, since I didn’t think I would have the time to post at all today; but, I literally JUST ran outside and took photos because I was so sad at the prospect of not sharing my favorite 90’s t-shirt, which also happens to be one of the first pieces of clothing I ever thrifted!  Allow me to introduce you to my Alvin and the Chipmunks shirt:

Thrift-Style-Thursday-90s-Alvin-Chipmunks-floral-boots_title

I am a total 90’s kid, born in 1987.  Most of my formative years were spent watching such television classics as Saved By The Bell, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Boy Meets World, Full House, Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, Clarissa Explains It All, and, of course, Alvin and the Chipmunks.  I saw Disney movies like Aladdin and The Lion King in theaters, and I own close to 100 VHS tapes and a VCR.  And I am not ashamed to admit that I spent hours trying to beat my own high score on my Skip-It (you’re welcome for that memory, oh and the theme song which still gets stuck in my head)!

Thrift-Style-Thursday-90s-Alvin-Chipmunks-floral-boots_02

I thought it only appropriate that I finish the outfit off with a bright, slightly clashing floral print in the form of this dress, some combat boots, and a few of my favorite friendship bracelets.  I have been dying to wear this dress for a Thrift Style Thurdsay post, but I couldn’t find the right occasion, until today.  It is an ASOS dress I thrifted several weeks ago and it is so comfy and easy to wear, I love it!  I also just got these boots with some birthday funds from DSW.  They were originally $90, DSW had them for $60 clearanced down to $30, and then I had another $5 off with a birthday coupon, so I got them for only $25 – yippee!

Thrift-Style-Thursday-90s-Alvin-Chipmunks-floral-boots_03

The details: Alvin and the Chipmunks t-shirt (thrifted) // floral dress (ASOS, thrifted) // brown combat boots (White Mountain via DSW) // woven belt (thrifted) // friendship bracelets (handmade)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-90s-Alvin-Chipmunks-floral-dressThrift-Style-Thursday-90s-floral-dress-combat-boots

Are you a 90’s kid, too?  What was your favorite show growing up??

As always, thanks for reading, and don’t forget to check out the whole Thrift Style Thursday gang:

Buttons and Birdcages // Spoolish // Sandpaper Kisses // Sincerely Miss J // Confessions of a Refashionista // The Two Cent Chick // Snippets with Alex // Eclecticity // Being Zhenya // Erika’s Style Diary // Sistas From Cali // Bethie the Boo // Rachel’s Lookbook // Lipstick and Yarn // Nuttier Than Nutella

Love, Kristi, Alvin, Simon and Theodore ;)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-90s-Alvin-Chipmunks-floral-boots_01

I LOVE this. Great pairings with those shoes!
    -Alex of http://snippetswithalex.com

May 29, 2014 at 10:35 am Reply

Thank you!! I was hoping the boots added some more 90’s flair haha! ;)

May 29, 2014 at 1:56 pm Reply
  • Confessions of a Refashionista

Yeah baby yeah! Totally love the groovy clashing! :D
    *I was addicted to my skip-it too…but in the early 80′s ;)

May 29, 2014 at 11:50 am Reply

Haha thanks, Sheri! I didn’t even know the Skip It was around in the 80’s, that’s awesome!! :)

May 29, 2014 at 1:57 pm Reply

You’ve got us all nostalgic with this post!! Such a cute tee and since it was your first thrift item, we can imagine it must be so special!
    Overall loved your look.. it’s pretty unique :)
    Love, Wink n Pout
    Blog , App

May 29, 2014 at 11:59 am Reply

Thank you!! I have been reminiscing all day about the 90’s haha! ;)

May 29, 2014 at 1:59 pm Reply

I’m a little older than you, but still had some of my childhood in the 90s so I relate to this well! I loved Alvin and the Chipmunks, that’s a super cute shirt! I think my favorite 90′s cartoon was Tiny Toon Adventures :)

May 29, 2014 at 12:30 pm Reply

Omg I totally forgot about Tiny Toons, I used to love that show! So many important life lessons learned from those old cartoons! ;)

May 29, 2014 at 2:00 pm Reply
  • sarina

Yes Alvin!!
    ASOS makes some of the most comfortable dresses..I thrifted one back in November, and I’m in love with it!

May 29, 2014 at 12:55 pm Reply

Hurray for the Chipmunks and the Chipettes!! And double hurray for comfy thrifted ASOS dresses! ;)

May 29, 2014 at 2:04 pm Reply

Ahhhhhh nostalgia :) So glad you posted today! The shirt is adorable, the skirt is so pretty and the boots are so you (and what a great deal)!! I loved Saved By The Bell, Boy Meets World, Full House…all the classics. Great job, girlie!

May 29, 2014 at 3:18 pm Reply

Yay, me toooo!! Thank you, thank you! :D

May 29, 2014 at 10:47 pm Reply
  • emilygeraghty

I LOOOOVE that skirt.

May 29, 2014 at 4:54 pm Reply

Thank you! It’s actually a dress that I disguised with a shirt and a belt haha! ;)

May 29, 2014 at 10:48 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

Girl, you look amazing! And so 90s!
    ~Zhenya

May 29, 2014 at 7:23 pm Reply
  • Brittany

SO FUN! I am a huge fan of cartoon graphic shirts and this one is the best I have ever seen. Hands down. I might have to go watch cartoons now… :)

May 29, 2014 at 8:37 pm Reply

Ahhhh thank you!! I’m so glad someone loves this shirt as much as me!! I love nostalgic t-shirts of any variety, but I especially love that Alvin and the Chipmunks hasn’t become ironic yet haha! ;)

May 29, 2014 at 10:52 pm Reply
  • Erika ~ Erika's Style Diary

Haha, this outfit is awesome! I love the chipmunks t-shirt! Gosh, idk if I could pick a fave tv show, there were so many that I loved! TV just isn’t the same anymore. I really liked all the weird ones on Nickelodeon, like Rugrats, Are You Afraid Of The Dark, Nickelodeon Guts, etc. and of course all of the classics that Justine mentioned above. Awww memories. :)

May 29, 2014 at 9:58 pm Reply

Thanks!! And oh man, I’m seriously craving a marathon of all my old favorite Nickelodeon shows now!! I feel a dangerous spiral down memory lane via YouTube coming on…. ;)

May 29, 2014 at 10:55 pm Reply
  • whatwewear

love this, what an adorable outfit!!
    love your skirt!
    xoxo

May 31, 2014 at 8:52 am Reply

best.outfit.ever. THAT SHIRT. omg.

May 31, 2014 at 6:10 pm Reply
  • Haley

I know this is a weird thing to comment, but if you ever think about selling that shirt I’d love to buy it from you. ^^ I’m an Alvin and the Chipmunks collector and I’m always looking for new things. Shirts are one of my favorite things to collect, and I’ve never seen this one before.
    I can tell you really like it, though, so the answer is probably no, but if you ever change your mind, let me know!!

June 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm Reply

Hahaha yeah this shirt is one of my all-time favorites so I definitely don’t have any plans to part with it, sorry! An Alvin and the Chipmunks collection sounds awesome, though, that’s way cool!! :)

June 16, 2014 at 3:15 pm Reply