Mad for Mod – Thrift Style Thursday

June 12, 2014

Hello, friends!  I’m just going to admit right off the bat that I went a little crazy with this week’s theme, “Mod Squad;” in fact, I went mad for mod!

Thrift-Style-Thursday-mod-green-dress_title

So, originally, I was just going to do a simple mod style short skirt and basic top with maybe some tights and my mod accessories… but then I thought I’d just pop in to my local thrift store to see what they had, and I found this amazingly mod green dress, and it fit!  How could I turn it down??

I probably went a teensy bit over the top, like, this could be my Halloween costume for next October, but I had SO much fun.  I even sported some Twiggy-esque makeup, mussed up my hair a la the 60’s and struck a few kooky poses!  :)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-mod-green-dress_03Thrift-Style-Thursday-mod-green-dress_04

The only unfortunate thing about this dress was that someone had (somewhat clumsily) hemmed it into a super mini with some iron-on hem tape and I had a hard time getting the crease out after pulling apart the hem tape.  But the dress does have two parallel seams running down the front, so I figured what’s one more line across the bottom?Thrift-Style-Thursday-mod-green-dress_02Thrift-Style-Thursday-mod-green-dress-cap-toe-kitten-heels

The details: green mod dress (thrifted, Salvation Army) // black and white T-strap heels (Isaac Mizrahi for Target, old) // white button earrings (gift, vintage) // chunky white bead necklace & white bangle bracelets (borrowed from Mom)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-mod-green-dress-white-bead-necklace_01

I honestly cannot believe how much fun I had with this week’s theme.  At first, I was all “meh, I guess I’ll do some kind of ‘interpretation’ of mod,” but then I really got into it, and I even had fun with the green eye shadow and Twiggy-inspired eyeliner.  I probably wouldn’t sport this look on an average day, but it did brighten up my week, that’s for sure!  What do you think of mod style??

Don’t forget to check out the rest of the Thrift Style Thursday crew to see their fly fashion, and vote here for next month’s themes if you wanna see some more groovy garb:

Buttons and Birdcages // Spoolish // Sandpaper Kisses // Sincerely Miss J // Confessions of a Refashionista // The Two Cent Chick // Snippets with Alex // Eclecticity // Being Zhenya // Erika’s Style Diary // Sistas From Cali // Bethie the Boo // Rachel’s Lookbook // Lipstick and Yarn // Nuttier Than Nutella

As always, thanks for reading and have a mod weekend!!  – Kristi :)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-mod-green-dress_01

• penniestopins

I love this dress and the shoes are so so so adorable!
    Alena

June 12, 2014 at 7:15 am Reply

Thank you!! I love these shoes, too, and I never wear them enough! :)

June 12, 2014 at 7:37 am Reply

Oh my gosh, too cute!! The dress is so fun, what a great color too!

June 12, 2014 at 8:15 am Reply

Thanks, Beth! I really fell head over heels for this dress, I’m trying to think of other occasions I can wear it haha! :)

June 12, 2014 at 10:39 am Reply

Ahhh so cute! I love that necklace and this dress is totally adorbs! Bummed I couldn’t participate this week (again…) but you are rocking this mod look!

June 12, 2014 at 11:03 am Reply

Thank you! I am bummed, too, but only because I know you would rock the mod look! Maybe some other time… ;)

June 12, 2014 at 11:05 am Reply
  • Jackie and Marilyn

So cute!!! – Brianna

June 12, 2014 at 12:35 pm Reply
  • Confessions of a Refashionista

You are mod perfection! (and should totally wear it every single day! – seriously!) ;)

June 12, 2014 at 12:44 pm Reply

Aww thank you!! I never really thought mod was my thing, but it was so much fun, I love it! :)

June 12, 2014 at 1:07 pm Reply
  • drowninmelancholy

OMG you look SO MUCH like Twiggy!!! o.O I can’t believe it!

June 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reply

Aw wow, thank you!!! I totally didn’t feel like I was hitting the “Twiggy mark” while taking the photos, but I did have fun! So glad you like it! :)

June 12, 2014 at 1:11 pm Reply

This is, by far, one of my absolute favorite looks you’ve ever done….WORK IT, GIRL! Seriously, you look amazing. I’m so glad you went all out and more on the Halloween-y side because it’s perfect. The poses, hair, faces, dress…love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 12, 2014 at 2:46 pm Reply

Ahhhhn thank you!!! I can’t even like think of a response to your amazing comment because I’m too excited haha! But I’m SO glad you like it because I got all excited and caught up in the moment, but then when I was editing the photos I was like, this is not at all practical but oh well! And now I’m just ahhhh! I seriously can’t even! Thank you!! :)

June 12, 2014 at 3:27 pm Reply

You so remind us of twiggy !! Love the green, your pearls and even your footwear go so well! Maybe the best Thrift style Thursday till date!

Love, Wink n Pout
    Blog , App

June 12, 2014 at 4:16 pm Reply

Thank you! I couldn’t believe it when I found this dress at the thrift store and it fit so well! This definitely might be the most fun I’ve had doing Thrift Style Thursday!! :)

June 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm Reply
  • katespadegirl

So, so, so adorable!!! I always adore seeing how to put things together, super cute!
    <3 Jules

June 12, 2014 at 8:25 pm Reply

Thank you!! I’m definitely thinking I’m going to have to wear more mod from now on! ;)

June 12, 2014 at 8:39 pm Reply
  • Brittany

Oh man. This is SO GOOD! Those shoes! That dress! Your necklace! It’s all so so spectacular! I think you did a great job with the makeup too – it was a great touch, for sure. But your facial expressions… man. SO SO GOOD! xx

June 12, 2014 at 8:52 pm Reply

Hahaha thank you!! I was obviously having a lot of fun taking these photos haha! :)

June 12, 2014 at 9:16 pm Reply
  • BeingZhenya

I am loving your dress! It’s gorgeous! And all your facial expressions are priceless!
    Zhenya

June 13, 2014 at 4:28 am Reply

Thanks, Zhenya!! I was clearly having a lot of fun! ;)

June 15, 2014 at 1:58 pm Reply
  • Madelyn

I am in awe of people like you who can find clothing at thrift stores, dress them up and make them look absolutely adorable! Would you consider sharing some of your tips? Or maybe you already have a post like that somewhere you can direct me to? I’m new to your blog and can’t wait to read more!

June 13, 2014 at 7:07 am Reply

Wow, thank you!! I don’t currently have a post about thrift shopping, but I think you’ve given me an idea for my next post! I would love to share some tips and things that I’ve learned over the years!! ;)

June 13, 2014 at 7:21 am Reply
  • SweetCandyDreamer

Fun dress! Such a happy color :-) xx

June 13, 2014 at 10:48 am Reply

Thank you! I was a little nervous about the bright green at first but now I love it! :)

June 13, 2014 at 10:49 am Reply
  • The Fashion Huntress

I love this amazing mod look~!!

June 13, 2014 at 11:48 am Reply
  • camerondgoodwin23

Hey, nice post! I’m Cameron and I’m very interested in fashion and style. I think you would enjoy my posts; I would really appreciate a follow back! Thanks!

June 13, 2014 at 12:05 pm Reply

Thanks, Cameron! I will definitely be sure to head over and check out your blog!! Also, sorry for getting to your comment so late, it somehow ended up in my spam folder, oops! :)

June 15, 2014 at 1:57 pm Reply
  • whimsicalchic

Love the whole look – particularly the Twiggy makeup, you’ve got me there ;). The dress is beautiful, I can imagine you as a willowy 1967 flowerchild flouncing around London in it, bravo, you’ve inspired me for today! x x x

June 14, 2014 at 6:58 am Reply

Hahaha thank you! Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era for sure!! So glad I could inspire you, thank you for such a wonderful compliment! :)

June 14, 2014 at 7:06 am Reply
  • A Mod Day/ Twigs v2.0/Happy Father’s Day! | Whimsical Chic

[…] yesterday, and was really inspired to do a mod theme by her most recent post. Alligator Toe always features these amazing Thrift Style Thursday finds, and I just loved the […]

June 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm Reply

This look suits you soooooo much!!!! And I love the shoes! The color of the dress is so pretty too, it’s not a color I see a lot of either, so it’s super nice to see :P (key lime, mint julep maybe, or lime sherbet)

June 15, 2014 at 6:00 pm Reply

Thank you!! I’ve done 20’s flapper and 50’s and 70’s but never 60’s mod so I didn’t know how it would turn out, but I loved it! And I loooove this dress, too! The green is so fun, I don’t care what you call it! ;)

June 15, 2014 at 6:05 pm Reply