Goth Girl | Thrift Style Thursday

July 10, 2014

Hello, friends!  Soooooo the theme for today’s Thrift Style Thursday is “Gothically Gorgeous” and I have to tell you I had no idea what I was going to wear.  After some serious contemplation (or, you know, tearing through nearly everything in my closet), however, I remembered my high school and early college days of crowded, sweaty shows, singing along at the top of my lungs to my favorite bands.  I just knew my old favorite band shirt was the ticket to channeling my inner “Goth Girl!”

Thrift-Style-Thursday-Goth-black-band-shirt-dress_01

Hahaha oh dear, this picture is scary (and not in a good way)!  I have to admit that I was having a very hard time getting into the “goth mood” for these photos.  Even after deciding on my Taking Back Sunday shirt, all of the black was making me feel, well, a bit down.  I don’t own a ton of black clothing and I certainly don’t wear all black, ever.  In fact, while shooting these pictures, I mostly just kept laughing in between shots and getting distracted by pretty butterflies (so very, very goth).  Case in point, see the following photo:

Thrift-Style-Thursday-Goth-black-band-shirt-dress_outtake

But then, I started playing around with poses and really getting into it.  I decided that even though I don’t really fit into, or know much about, goth culture, I can still find a way to make it my own.  I went for a slightly more rockabilly look with the bandanna headband and decided to channel a tough, take-no-crap-from-nobody type of girl instead.  This girl is strong, she can take care of herself and she definitely doesn’t care what anyone thinks about her.  She’s a Goth Girl, grrrrr!

Thrift-Style-Thursday-Goth-black-band-shirt-dress_03Thrift-Style-Thursday-Goth-black-band-shirt-dress_02

Hahaha, nope, still laughing at myself!  Oh well, it was fun while it lasted, and I might even wear this again, on the weekend, that is.  I had to change before I went to work!

The details: Taking Back Sunday shirt (concert merch table, oooooold) // black and white daisy pattern dress (H&M, also old) // black & tan woven belt (thrifted) // black moto boots (Roxy via DSW) // black bandanna (WalMart) // black stud earrings (H&M) // bracelet (gifts)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-Goth-black-shirt-belt-dressThrift-Style-Thursday-Goth-black-boots

I also had a ton of fun with my makeup for this look.  I actually wear very little makeup on a daily basis.  I have been getting into the idea of a more natural face, and trying very hard to get my skin clear and healthy, so I’ve been keeping my makeup minimal.  But I knew that in order to complete the goth look, I was definitely going to have to darken it up.  I went with a smudging of black and taupe eyeliners and some really pretty eyeshadows in shades of purple – from light for the highlights to a deep red-purple for the smoky effect.  What do you think??

Thrift-Style-Thursday-Goth-black-headband-accessoriesThrift-Style-Thursday-Goth-black-headband-shirt

Well, now that that’s over, aren’t you dying to see what the rest of the Thrift Style Thursday gals came up with for their Gothically Gorgeous thrifted ensembles??  Check ’em out below and don’t forget to vote for next month’s themes (or suggest one of your own) here!

Buttons and Birdcages // Spoolish // Sandpaper Kisses // Sincerely Miss J // Confessions of a Refashionista // The Two Cent Chick // Snippets with Alex // Eclecticity // Being Zhenya // Erika’s Style Diary // Sistas From Cali // Bethie the Boo // Lipstick and Yarn // Nuttier Than Nutella

As always, thanks for reading!  Love, Kristi :)

PS. Okay, I just can’t resist sharing…  Some of the outtakes from this photoshoot were downright hilarious, but this one makes me crack up every time I look at it – enjoy!  ;)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-Goth-black-band-shirt-dress_outtake2

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!  Seriously, Kristi, what are you doing?!

• emilygeraghty

this outfit is so cute! I love it. I love wearing bandanas in my hair but they always fall out because my hair isn’t think enough :(

July 10, 2014 at 7:52 am Reply

Thank you!! Yeah, I obviously don’t have a ton of hair since I keep mine short, so I’ll often use bobby pins to hold the bandanna in place! :)

July 10, 2014 at 7:56 am Reply
  • buttonsandbirdcages

Lol i love it! I had a tough time with this one too, I should’ve done more with my makeup! Also, I’m lovin the TBS shirt..takes me back lol

July 10, 2014 at 8:29 am Reply

Haha thanks! It was tough, but it’s always fun to try new things and push myself out of my comfort zone! ;)

July 10, 2014 at 9:44 am Reply
  • Confessions of a Refashionista

You make an adorable goth(-ish) gal ;) *That last pic is very “Rosie The Riveter” war effort…rock it chick! :D

July 10, 2014 at 8:40 am Reply

Thanks, Sheri!! That’s actually what I was trying to go for, and I tried a bunch of shots, but that one just made me crack up!!! :)

July 10, 2014 at 9:46 am Reply

You are definitely spot on with being gothically gorgeous! Love it!
    -Alex of http://snippetswithalex.com

July 10, 2014 at 8:50 am Reply

TOO cute! I love the bandana in your hair too, I do that a lot when I just don’t want to deal with my hair!

July 10, 2014 at 8:51 am Reply

Thanks!! I have only recently discovered my love for bandannas in my hair, but I’m hooked now! :)

July 10, 2014 at 9:48 am Reply
  • WAiSTEDD

Love the bandana and the skirt!! Really cute look!!

July 10, 2014 at 10:45 am Reply

This is so perfect. I love the tough girl face you’re making in these photos! And you look super cute in a bandana :)

July 10, 2014 at 11:22 am Reply

Thank you, I had a really hard time keeping a straight face! I do actually consider myself to be pretty strong, but I definitely don’t have a, uh, stony personality haha! ;)

July 10, 2014 at 12:50 pm Reply
  • Jackie and Marilyn

Ha! That last photo is wonderful. You are too adorable :) – Brianna

July 10, 2014 at 11:38 am Reply

Hee hee thanks, I could not stop laughing when I saw that picture! I knew it was good when I showed it to a friend and she immediately started busting up! ;)

July 10, 2014 at 12:51 pm Reply
  • Brittany

I think you out rockabillied Emily Meyers, here. :)
    Also, if I came across you in an alley in Strathroy, ON, Canada, I would probably want to befriend you instantly. Can we go back to happy colours now?

July 10, 2014 at 4:04 pm Reply

Ha this has to be one of my favorite posts from you for so many reasons :) I, too, have way more smiling/laughing pictures than I care to count but we can’t help it, right?! We just love to smile!!! Your poses and facial expressions are killer though! I think you nailed the look. The makeup is flawless, too! And I adore the last picture haha

July 10, 2014 at 4:55 pm Reply

Yes, yay to happy smiling, laughing pictures!! And thank you haha! :)

July 10, 2014 at 7:28 pm Reply
  • sistasfromcali

You look super cute!!! We love the bandanna and that skirt has an amazing print. :)

July 10, 2014 at 11:09 pm Reply

Thank you!! It’s actually a dress and I just put the t-shirt over it and tucked it into the belt! ;)

July 11, 2014 at 6:46 am Reply
      • sistasfromcali

That was a really good idea. Great job! :)

July 11, 2014 at 6:47 am Reply

Thanks, it’s my favorite little trick haha!

July 11, 2014 at 6:48 am Reply
  • layeredindulgence

Love this look, you look awesome and I love your blog! I’m Kate and I’m really into styling and writing I think you would really like my blog, check it out, I would really appreciate a follow back :) http://layeredindulgence.wordpress.com

July 11, 2014 at 7:47 pm Reply

Thank you!! That sounds awesome, I will check out your site for sure! :)

July 11, 2014 at 8:42 pm Reply

haha! Yes this look is out of your fashion comfort zone… but still you’ve managed to pull it off so well. :) And we especially love bloggers who keep it real, case in point you shared a picture you didn’t like so much! And yeah, we love that tee on you!

Love, Wink n Pout
    Blog , App

July 12, 2014 at 3:38 pm Reply

Thank you! I love trying new styles, but I never want it to look like I’m wearing a costume (unless that’s what I’m going for) because I try to be authentic! I definitely try to keep it real as much as possible haha! ;)

July 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm Reply
  • Erika ~ Erika's Style Diary

Hey girl! You totally nailed the theme this week! I’m really loving your look. I’m going to be late posting again, but I’ll have it up before next Thursday, haha. Btw, I love Taking Back Sunday! Good taste in music. ;-)

July 13, 2014 at 8:20 pm Reply

Hey, Erika, thanks! I can’t wait to see your post!! And I was soooo into Taking Back Sunday in high school (their first 2 albums are still my fave) and I’ve been to a ton of their shows haha! :)

July 13, 2014 at 8:29 pm Reply