Chasing Gray Skies | Thrift Style Thursday

July 31, 2014

Hello, friends!  I’m back – huzzah!!  After being gone all last week, missing last Thrift Style Thursday and leaving my camera behind at the studio, I feel like I have been gone for a long time and I have missed you!  But now I am  back and super excited to share today’s look for Thrift Style Thursday: Marvelous Mesh.

Thrift-Style-Thursday-mesh-pom-pom-shorts-sweater-gladiator-sandals_01

When I first saw the theme “Marvelous Mesh,” I have to admit I was like, “huh?”  But then I thought of all the ways mesh could be interpreted – netting, tulle, sporty athletic mesh, etc – and I decided “Okay, I can do this.”  Never one to make things simple for myself, however, I decided that some sporty mesh shorts would be super cute made over with pom-pom trim… and I don’t think I was wrong.  In fact, I am IN LOVE with my new shorts!  Check out that Before n’ After:

pom-pom-shorts-before-and-after

The title for this post comes from the fickle summer weather we’ve been having lately.  It has been uncharacteristically humid here in Southern California and the gloom that is supposed to come in June has actually lasted through July, which is fine by me because I love overcast skies.  Of course, the one day this week when I had my camera back and I had the time to take outfit photos (and I was really looking forward to a cloudy day for my sweater-and-shorts combo) just so happened to be the sunniest day of the week.  Yeesh.  So, I retreated to the shade and did the best I could.   (The lighting is decent, but the coloring came out super weird and I somehow ended up with dual tones, but whatevs, you forgive me, right?)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-mesh-pom-pom-shorts-sweater-gladiator-sandals_02Thrift-Style-Thursday-mesh-pom-pom-shorts-sweater_01

I went totally minimalist for this outfit because I wanted the monochromatic look of the black and white sweater and the black and white shorts to stand out.  I kept my makeup simple, and only added a pair of black stud earrings for accessories.  Plus, I figure the pom-pom’s on the shorts were fancy enough.

Let’s see some more lurvely pom-pom shorts goodness, because I just cannot get enough of these babies!

Thrift-Style-Thursday-mesh-pom-pom-shorts-sweater_02

I really love how the pom-pom trim adds some fun, quirky style, without overdoing it.  Plus, the hidden pockets are my favorite – totally functional without taking away from the great silhouette of the shorts!  I actually refashioned two pairs of shorts, and it was super easy.  I plan on sharing a quick DIY post soon!

The details: color block sweater (thrifted, originally Target) // mesh pom-pom shorts (thrifted, refashion) // gladiator sandals (gift) // black stud earrings (H&M)

Thrift-Style-Thursday-sweater-selfieThrift-Style-Thursday-mesh-pom-pom-shorts-gladiator-sandals_01

This outfit might actually be my new favorite because it was just so easy and comfortable while still being stylish.  It basically felt like I was wearing pajamas all day, only I looked (somewhat) more put together.  The sweater is amazingly soft and luxurious feeling; I am still pinching myself that I found it brand new at the thrift store for an extra 50% off – it was only $2.99 people!

Enough of my bragging, now it’s your turn!  What’s your best thrift store steal?  What have you been wearing non-stop this summer??

Don’t forget to check out these beautiful bloggin’ ladies to see what they thrifted for this week’s “Marvelous Mesh” theme, and go vote for our upcoming themes at Sheri’s “Gone Thrifting” page here:

Buttons and Birdcages // Spoolish // Sandpaper Kisses // Sincerely Miss J // Confessions of a Refashionista // The Two Cent Chick // Eclecticity // Being Zhenya // Erika’s Style Diary // Sistas From Cali // Bethie the Boo // Lipstick and Yarn // Nuttier Than Nutella // That Cheap B**** // Slight Impression

As always, thanks for reading!  Love, Kristi :)

What a great idea!! I never thought of athletic mesh – or making a pair of sporty shorts over like that! They turned out so cute, I’m super impressed!

July 31, 2014 at 8:44 am Reply

Thank you!!! I honestly wasn’t sure how they would turn out, but I think I got lucky in finding such a great pair of basic shorts at the thrift store! :)

July 31, 2014 at 8:46 am Reply
  • The Fashion Huntress

Awesome!! Those shorts are so unexpected! I love what you did with them- and you cannot beat the prices. Oh my…my best find….hmmm…probably my DVF wrap dress that I snagged for about $30- that was a dream come true!

July 31, 2014 at 10:07 am Reply

Thanks! These shorts probably won’t last as far as trends go, but I don’t care, for the moment, I am obsessed!!
      Ooh DVF wrap dress for $30 – nice score! I have never been a huge fan of wrap dresses personally (not sure why), but I bet you rock it!! ;)

July 31, 2014 at 10:15 am Reply
  • rubyangel711

I would totally cozy up to this outfit. Great job with the pom-pom shorts—so cute! I love the sweatshirt!

July 31, 2014 at 10:25 am Reply

Thanks! This outfit turned out to be so cozy and comfy, I want to wear it every day!! And this sweatshirt is going to be seeing a lot of wear, especially once it actually starts getting chilly! :)

July 31, 2014 at 10:28 am Reply

You made those shorts so cute!! I want to do this to my athletic shorts now! I love that top with them too. Very sporty chic all around :)

July 31, 2014 at 4:01 pm Reply

Thank you!! I had a feeling this look would be right up your alley! ;)

July 31, 2014 at 4:39 pm Reply

This is truly an inspiration to me for several reasons. #1 Whenever I see our TST themes I always freak out because I take them so literally. But you are so right…mesh, for example, can be interpreted in so many ways!!! #2 Way to go with thinking of adding pom poms to those shorts! I envy your creativity and your superior refashion skills. #3 You’re just awesome. The end :)

July 31, 2014 at 4:29 pm Reply

Hahaha thank you!!! I guess I really just like finding ways to bend the rules! ;)
      And honestly creativity just takes a little practice and some inspiration! The number one reason I love Pinterest so much!! And you’re awesome, too! :)

July 31, 2014 at 4:43 pm Reply
  • Amy Sachs

Those shorts look so cute! I would never think to put something like pom poms on athletic shorts but they add just the right amount of flair to them!
    I don’t think I have a best thrifting find but my favorite is a t-shirt that says “I’m a noun!” because I’m an English major nerd and it’s perfect.

July 31, 2014 at 8:56 pm Reply

Thank you!! I really like all of the pom-pom shorts I’ve been seeing on Pinterest, and the sport/luxe look is making (another) comeback, so I thought why not put the two together?? ;)
      I love the sound of that shirt!! I’m a bit if a grammar nerd, too! :)

July 31, 2014 at 9:38 pm Reply
  • Confessions of a Refashionista

Everything about this is fabulous…and I’m totally making over my dull athletic shorts tomorrow! ;)

August 1, 2014 at 9:58 am Reply

Thank you! I definitely wouldn’t add pom-pom’s to my running shorts, but for a little added flair to a casual run-around-town outfit, they were perfect!! :)

August 1, 2014 at 10:02 am Reply
  • mintstatement

This is so adorable. Love it =)

August 2, 2014 at 9:13 am Reply
  • Jasmine

Love the shorts with pom pom.. A great way to make the short more feminine. Good thinking!

August 2, 2014 at 9:01 pm Reply

Thank you!! You’re totally right, I didn’t even think of it but the pom-pom’s definitely make the sporty shorts more feminine! :)

August 2, 2014 at 9:04 pm Reply
  • Pom-Pom Shorts DIY Refashion | Alligator Toe

[…] these mesh shorts for last week’s “Marvelous Mesh” Thrift Style Thursday theme (here!).  It is a super simple refashion that you can do with – or without! – a sewing […]

August 4, 2014 at 9:20 am Reply

LOVE the shorts!!!!

August 5, 2014 at 9:22 am Reply
  • Influenced by India (Thrift Style Thursday) | The Two Cent Chick

[…] taking a cue from my blog friend Kristi from Alligator Toe (who shared her DIY pom pom athletic shorts for last week’s theme of mesh theme. Genius!) and showing up a new-to-me scarf from another […]

August 7, 2014 at 3:40 am Reply
  • Influenced by India (Thrift Style Thursday) | The Thrifty Girl's Guide

November 5, 2014 at 4:08 pm Reply
  • Your comments make my day, let me know what you think! :)