A Dress in Winter | Thrift Style Thursday

January 22, 2015

This week’s theme, courtesy of Andrea from Little Did You Know, is “Pinspired New Year!”  Unfortunately for me, I actually thought we were doing a totally different theme this week up until Monday, which left me zero time to do the refashion that I had planned for this theme…  So, I was only able to stick to one of my two style resolutions, but I do think I pretty successfully “kicked it up a notch” as the kids say (what? does anyone say that?? I don’t think so).  Look, a pretty dress!

A Polka Dress in Winter #ThriftStyleThursday | via Delightfully Kristi

I recently thrifted this American Rag dress at a local Goodwill for $9.  I so do not need another dress in my closet, but the polka dot print, lace yoke and velvet ribbon at the waist were just too cute to pass up!

I decided to style this dress for winter by using this pin as inspiration; here’s the side-by-side:

Pinterest Inspired Polka Dress Styled for Winter #ThriftStyleThursday | Delightfully Kristi

You can view the original pin here.

As you can see, I styled my dress with a long sleeve black top, black tights and black boots.  I even added a black purse!  Tights and boots are my favorite way to wear a dress in winter, and I like the idea of wearing a long sleeve top underneath so the dress isn’t completely covered up by warmer layers.

That being said, it got surprisingly cold here this week, so I made sure to carry along some layers with me!  (Yes, I realize that a thin military jacket hardly counts and I would be legit freezing pretty much anywhere else in North America, but, guys, it was cold, I swear!)

Polka Dress Styled for Winter #ThriftStyleThursday | Delightfully KristiPolka Dress Styled for Winter #ThriftStyleThursday | Delightfully KristiPolka Dress Styled for Winter #ThriftStyleThursday | Delightfully KristiPolka Dress Styled for Winter #ThriftStyleThursday | Delightfully Kristi

The details: polka dot dress (American Rag, thrifted) // long sleeve top (Old Navy) // fleece-lined tights (Walmart) // blush pink military jacket (H&M) // moto boots (Roxy via DSW) //bow headband (Forever 21) // silver bracelet (gift)

This sheer dress was so much fun to wear and so easy to style for cold weather!  The lightweight fabric made it easy to layer, and my trusty tights-and-boots combo went perfectly with the simple black and white pattern.

What’s your favorite way to wear a dress in winter?  Have you worn an outfit inspired by Pinterest lately??

Don’t forget to check out the rest of the Thrift Style Thursday crew to see what inspired them on Pinterest this week!

As always, thanks for reading!

Delightfully, Kristi (signature)

PS. To see more of what I’m pinning, check out the sidebar or follow me on Pinterest!

PPS.  Did you know Thrift Style Thursdays has its own board on Pinterest, too?!  You can follow it here!

• buttonsandbirdcages

I never need more deresses either, but I can’t pass them up! Love this look on you! And, for someone who thought we were doing a different theme I have to say you rocked it out!

January 22, 2015 at 6:57 am Reply

Thank you, thank you!! I seriously pulled this look together SO last minute, thank goodness for Pinterest! And, really, who can pass up a cute dress at a good price?? ;)

January 22, 2015 at 7:13 am Reply
  • Carissa

Sheer and polka dots are two of my favorite things! Also, I think I may need more long-sleeves tees and tights so I can wear some of my dresses in winter too. Looking good!

January 22, 2015 at 7:07 am Reply

Thanks, Carissa! I don’t own very many long sleeve tees or tights, either, but mostly because they’re rarely necessary here anyway haha! I imagine it’s much the same in Texas ;)

January 22, 2015 at 11:05 am Reply
  • chic-ky

Very cute dress when I saw this weeks theme polka dots were the first idea that came to my mind. I Love how you styled it and your bow head band is so adorable.

January 22, 2015 at 7:15 am Reply

Thank you!! I LOVE your polka dot dress, great minds think alike! ;)

January 22, 2015 at 11:05 am Reply
      • chic-ky

hahaha I think so too :D

January 22, 2015 at 1:00 pm Reply

I love what you did here! The dress is super cute and I love the layering! I often times will wear a sweater over a dress in winter, making it more of a skirt I guess! You totally nailed the pinned look – I think I like yours even better!!

January 22, 2015 at 9:15 am Reply

Thanks, Beth! I haven’t quite mastered layering a sweater over a dress yet so I figured this was just easier haha! ;)

January 22, 2015 at 11:08 am Reply
  • spoolish

Super cute as always! The headband is perfect. And I was yelling in my head when you said it was cold and I just stared at your paper thin jacket haha but at least you called yourself out on it:P P.s. What’s the story behind the tat?

January 22, 2015 at 9:26 am Reply

Why thank you! And I just had to mention the weather because I know I’m a wimp and “cold” here is nothing haha!! ;)
      The tattoo is the Taurus bull, a reminder to myself to stand up for myself and my beliefs, to “embrace the bull” so to speak :)

January 22, 2015 at 11:20 am Reply
  • marcy

Love this look, that dress is so cute as are you. :) xoxo

January 22, 2015 at 9:42 am Reply

Aw thank you, that is so sweet!! :)

January 22, 2015 at 11:20 am Reply

Your dress is so cute and pretty! I am wearing a similar one today with tights and a sweater to keep warm. It’s great that you can take a summery dress and make it work for cooler weather. :)

January 22, 2015 at 10:04 am Reply

Thank you!! I was pretty excited to find this dress at the thrift store! Sounds like great minds think alike! ;)

January 22, 2015 at 11:22 am Reply
  • Andrea

Ugh! So cute! I love the side-by-side shot because you got it down so perfectly :) And I have to say I have yet to layer a top under a dress, but it’s one of my style goals. Love, love, love this! Great find on the dress.

January 22, 2015 at 10:16 am Reply

Ah thank you, Andrea!! I love when people have the side-by-side that looks like a perfect match so I made sure to try really hard to get it right haha! I’m so glad you like it, and what are you waiting for?! Throw a shirt on under a dress, it was the easiest thing! ;)

January 22, 2015 at 12:11 pm Reply
  • Brittany

This is very pretty on you! I think you should wear dresses more often! :)

January 22, 2015 at 11:14 am Reply

Thanks, Brittany! I was actually going to make one of my style resolutions to wear dresses & skirts more often, but I figured that would fall under “kick it up a notch” haha! ;)
      Seriously though I have a ton and I really want to wear them more! :)

January 22, 2015 at 11:27 am Reply
  • Justine S.

You all did such a great job this week, and I seriously like all of your interpretations more than the actual pins!! Who can pass up an adorable dress like this, especially with the polka dots?! The coat is a really nice contrast to the black, too. Great job!

January 22, 2015 at 2:26 pm Reply

Thanks, Justine!! I really couldn’t pass this dress by without at least trying it on, and of course once I saw it fit, I couldn’t leave the store without it! ;)
      I pretty much never wear all black, and the amount of black in this outfit was really weirding me out, so I had to add something light and pretty! :)

January 22, 2015 at 2:51 pm Reply

You’re adorable in this dress! That lace yoke is seriously adorable. Even if you don’t need another dress, I can see why you didn’t turn this one down. Too cute!

January 22, 2015 at 2:27 pm Reply

Thank you!! The lace and velvet details are really what sold me on this dress, I think they set it apart just enough from other dresses! ;)

January 22, 2015 at 2:53 pm Reply
  • sistasfromcali

You look adorable! We love the look on you. Can’t go wrong with black.

January 22, 2015 at 9:34 pm Reply

Thank you!! :)

January 23, 2015 at 3:06 pm Reply
  • cheap-skate fashion

this is so cute. since its really cold where i am, the whole long sleeve t-shirt under everything is kinda a staple. i love how it looks with the black tights and boots too!

January 23, 2015 at 2:56 pm Reply

Thank you! I used to wear long sleeve shirts under everything as a kid, I didn’t realize there was a grown up way to do it until I saw it on Pinterest! ;)

January 23, 2015 at 3:08 pm Reply
  • marlenameow

That is the perfect thrifted find! Tossing a sweater over a dress or a chambray under a dress are my go-to fixes for summer dresses in winter. I love the ease of your look; you look great as always and now I have some great inspiration on what to wear today!

January 24, 2015 at 4:39 am Reply

Thanks, Marlena!! I want to try a chambray shirt under a dress, but I wasn’t sure it would work under this dress because it’s so sheer… I’ll have to try it with another dress!! :)

January 24, 2015 at 7:07 am Reply