Modern Greaser | Thrift Style Thursday

February 26, 2015

I just want to thank Beth (of Bethie the Boo) for this week’s awesome theme, “Time Machine,” because I had SO much fun!  Basically, we were to style an outfit according to our favorite decade (or whatever decade we chose, really).  I will admit that at first (as in, you know, yesterday morning), I had no idea what I was going to wear.  Then, the thought suddenly came to me: greaser!  (Why?  I have no idea, but I’m glad it did.)

I bring to you: Greaser meets Pink Lady!  It’s a bit of an androgynous take on the 1950’s greaser complete with leather jacket, jeans, boots, and of course the signature pompadour.

50's inspired Modern Greaser | #ThriftStyleThursday via Delightfully Kristi 50's inspired Modern Greaser | #ThriftStyleThursday via Delightfully Kristi

I love fashion from the fifties and sixties, and the greaser subculture is no exception.  It brings to mind actors like James Dean, John Travolta, and Henry Winkler (The Fonz), and movies like The Outsiders, Cry Baby, and, duh, Grease.  I had so much fun putting this look together and taking photos in the natural habitat of the greaser, a.k.a. the garage.  ;)

50's inspired Modern Greaser | #ThriftStyleThursday via Delightfully Kristi

Surprisingly, it wasn’t that hard for me to get my hair into a mini pompadour.  I just used a ton of hairspray and a couple bobby pins.  Although this definitely isn’t a hairstyle I would wear all the time, it was really fun to wear for a day.  I think I might actually want to rock it from time to time.

50's inspired Modern Greaser | #ThriftStyleThursday via Delightfully Kristi

I really had fun “getting into character” for this photo shoot.  It was hard to figure out poses for the gender-bending modern greaser role, but once I got into it, I really tried to play it up.  Of course, being a greaser is all about attitude, and that was easy enough to pull off!

50's inspired Modern Greaser | #ThriftStyleThursday via Delightfully Kristi

50's inspired Modern Greaser | #ThriftStyleThursday via Delightfully Kristi

The details: leather jacket (????, old) // plaid shirt (thrifted) // dark skinny jeans (H&M via Goodwill) // studded booties (Franco Sarto via Salvation Army) // black stud earrings (H&M) // black leather belt (????, old) // hardware bracelet (gift)

50's inspired Modern Greaser | #ThriftStyleThursday via Delightfully Kristi

50's inspired Modern Greaser | #ThriftStyleThursday via Delightfully Kristi

I cannot wait to see what decades the other Thrift Style Thursday gals chose for this week’s theme!  You know the drill, click the links below to find out:

What’s your favorite decade for fashion?  Would you ever give the 50’s greaser look a try??

As always, thanks for reading!

Delightfully, Kristi (signature)

PS. Just ‘cuz I love all you hep cats, here’s another fun one!  ;)

50's inspired Modern Greaser | #ThriftStyleThursday via Delightfully Kristi

• buttonsandbirdcages

Oh my god, you are so fun. I LOVE this!!

February 26, 2015 at 7:13 am Reply

Hahahaha thanks, Miche!! I had a lot fun putting this one together! :)

February 26, 2015 at 8:56 am Reply

You seriously look amazing!! When I saw your preview picture yesterday I was like “Grease is the word!” I’m loving that plaid shirt, your boots are awesome and your hair looks amazing!! I’m so glad you had fun with the theme, I love everything about this!!

February 26, 2015 at 7:36 am Reply

Ahhh thank you!! I had SO much fun with the theme, and I am loving everyone’s super fun vintage vibes this week! I think I might have to “go Greaser” more often – this was just too much fun! :)

February 26, 2015 at 9:09 am Reply
  • Carissa

Oh man, you killed it this week! I love that you merged the greaser and pink lady into one character. The bright plaid shirt is such an unexpected twist with the rest of the outfit. And your smirk throughout all the photos is just priceless! Seriously great job!

February 26, 2015 at 8:11 am Reply

Thank you, Carissa!!! I looove Grease and the whole greaser/pink lady trend was too irresistible to pass up! The vintage plaid shirt is one of my most favorite thrifted pieces ever so I just knew I had to include it! And I really couldn’t help the smirk – it was the outfit, it brought out the attitude in me haha! ;) Thanks! :)

February 26, 2015 at 9:11 am Reply
  • nyrmirez

This is by far one of my favorites outfits you have done so far! You did such a great job styling this look and I love the setting and everything about these photos. Keep on rocking!

February 26, 2015 at 8:51 am Reply

Thank you, thank you!! I had so much fun, from the outfit and the hair to the photos and even playing around with effects in photoshop – I’m so glad you like it! Yippee!! ;)

February 26, 2015 at 9:17 am Reply
  • Andrea

The. best. You are too cool for school (but school IS cool) and I’m dying over the androgynous mixture of greaser and pink lady! This style suits you so well, and I LOVE your hair like this!!! Help! You knocked it out of the park, in a major way!

February 26, 2015 at 9:15 am Reply

Hahaha thank youuuuu!! I am dying laughing because in “real life” I am so the opposite of cool; in fact, while taking photos, I was pretty much dancing around in my head shouting, “I’m so cool! I’m so cool! I’m so cool!” Which, you know, is like the opposite of cool haha! ;)
      I do love playing around with androgynous looks, though, and the hair was DEFINITELY cool/fun, so I think I will have to wear it like this again! Thanks!! :)

February 26, 2015 at 9:55 am Reply
  • Gracey the Giant

Brilliant! This is absolutely fabulous. You look gorgeous and this outfit is so much fun!

February 26, 2015 at 9:19 am Reply

Thank you so much!! :)

February 26, 2015 at 10:06 am Reply
  • Emmy Geraghty

You need to dress like this every day. Love it.

February 26, 2015 at 9:29 am Reply

Haha thanks! I don’t know about every day (my style is way too eclectic for that), but definitely more often!! ;)

February 26, 2015 at 10:08 am Reply
  • Brittany

Ha! You always make me laugh, Kristi! I don’t want to say you could make a good Rizzo (because who wants that, really?!) but, well done! Great job on your hair too! You nailed this.

February 26, 2015 at 10:50 am Reply

Ahhhh I love Rizzo! I guess I wouldn’t actually want to be her, but her character is pretty great! ;) Thanksss!! :)

February 26, 2015 at 12:55 pm Reply
  • Martyna Domurad

You’re adorable. I think your hair should be like this always. Way to rock it girl ;)

February 26, 2015 at 11:16 am Reply

Why thank you!! I will definitely be trying this style again! :)

February 26, 2015 at 12:56 pm Reply
  • pinsplace

I saw your pics on my Instagram and loved them. This is such a great outfit and I looooovvvvveeee your hair!
    xx

February 26, 2015 at 11:31 am Reply

Thank youuuuuu!! I’m pretty stoked myself! :)

February 26, 2015 at 12:57 pm Reply
  • Justine S.

I have never loved one of your blog posts more. You ROCKED this.

February 26, 2015 at 5:35 pm Reply

Ahhhhhhh thank you!!!!! I am doing a giddy happy dance today haha (cuz I’m so cool, obvi.)! ;) Thanks! :)

February 26, 2015 at 7:12 pm Reply

You seriously look amazing in these pictures. Your styling is absolutely out of this world! So retro and perfect for this theme, but overall just an awesome post! One of my favorites :)

February 27, 2015 at 7:30 am Reply

Thank you so much, Megan!! I really had fun with this one, and I kind of can’t wait to rock a pomp again! ;)

February 27, 2015 at 9:23 am Reply
  • Kristina

This is such a fun outfit, I like the shirt! You look great! :)

Recently I have started as a guest designer for a famous bag brand and my first design of a belt bag is out! <3 I would love to hear what you think about it! :)
    Hope to see you soon on my blog
    Bloglovin
    Facebook :)

Kisses from Zurich,
    K

February 28, 2015 at 8:22 am Reply

Thank you so much, Kristina!! I would love to see your bag design, I’ll have to check out your blog for sure! :)

February 28, 2015 at 8:36 am Reply
  • Erika ~ Erika's Style Diary

I LOVE this outfit and your hair and the sassy attitude! This is easily one of my favorite looks for you and you totally can pull off the sweet pompadour! This looks like it was such a fun photoshoot! :)

March 9, 2015 at 8:50 pm Reply

Aw thanks, Erika!! I had a total blast with this post, I gotta bring back the pomp and sass!! ;)

March 9, 2015 at 9:45 pm Reply