Spring Cleaning | Thrift Style Thursday

April 9, 2015

Happy Thursday, folks!  This week’s Thrift Style Thursday theme is “Spring Cleaning” brought to you by Megan of Traverse, and I am pretty excited about my outfit!  First, I absolutely love the idea for this theme – pulling out an old thrifted garment that you haven’t worn in awhile and giving it new life.  And second, I love that I was able to restyle my very first thrifted item ever (from way back in high school), and make it totally new again!

As I mentioned, this handmade yellow and white dress is actually my very first thrift find from way back in high school.  My best friend and I were going through a bit of a phase and dying to be unique, so we started thrift shopping.  We had just discovered the treasures to be found in thrift stores!

I got put down and endured my fair share of teasing for wearing thrifted clothing, but to me it was always worth it (especially when I got to rub my super trendy $4 GAP sweatshirt in their face – ha!).  In fact, it turned out to be the beginning of a long love affair (with thrift shopping, of course)!  ;)

I seem to be on a dress & sneakers kick this week, and I’m okay with it!  I had fun putting this look together and going for a bike ride in the park.  The slightly longer sleeve on the shirt ended up being perfect for the chilly spring wind.  I was also excited to add the stripe fabric flower pin to the bag, which was thrifted for me by Brittany in our Thrift Swap.  Thanks, Brittany!

The details: chambray blouse (gift – thanks, Diane!) // yellow and white stripe cotton dress (thrifted) // chambray sneakers (Target, last year) // leather bag (thrift swap) // yellow stud earrings (Forever 21) // stamped gold necklace (gift)

#ThriftStyleThursday "Spring Cleaning" -- thrifted stripe dress paired with chambray tie front top + chambray sneakers | Delightfully Kristi#ThriftStyleThursday "Spring Cleaning" -- thrifted stripe dress paired with chambray tie front top + chambray sneakers | Delightfully Kristi

I can’t wait to see what the rest of the Thrift Style Thursday crew dug out of their closets for this week’s theme!  You know the drill, check out the links below:

Have you done any spring cleaning yet?  Unearthed any pieces that you’re inspired to restyle??  Do share!

Thanks for reading!  :)

Delightfully, Kristi (signature) #ThriftStyleThursday "Spring Cleaning" -- thrifted stripe dress paired with chambray tie front top + chambray sneakers | Delightfully Kristi

I love everything about this! It’s so fresh and springy and fun!! I love that you included something you bought in high school! Save for some jewelry I don’t think I have anything left from that far back (it was a pretty long time ago, lol). I just love the bag Brittany sent you too, it’s so cute! And i love your bike :)

April 9, 2015 at 7:29 am Reply

Thank you!! I was really excited to be able to restyle this dress from high school, it brought back a lot of fond memories! :)
      And I love my bike and the bag from Brittany, too!!! :)

April 9, 2015 at 7:43 am Reply
  • buttonsandbirdcages

How fun! Thanks for sharing your first ever thrift find (and its so cute!). Also, the bullying was DEFINITELY worth it , plus I’m sure those kids look back on it and know you were too cool for school ;) Love the dress/sneakers look – its seriously perfect for your style!

April 9, 2015 at 10:24 am Reply

Aw thanks, Miche!! SO worth it! They were just dumb kids who didn’t like that I was different and didn’t want to be like them ;)
      I am happily obsessed with dresses and sneakers, I’m gonna say it’s my new thing! :)

April 9, 2015 at 12:54 pm Reply
  • Carissa

You are *so* adorable! Blue and yellow – love it, polka dots and stripes – excellent, dresses and sneakers – you’re speaking my language! Great outfit!

April 9, 2015 at 3:32 pm Reply

Hahaha thanks, Carissa!! Blue and yellow is actually not my favorite combination (just makes me think of school colors), but I love chambray so I made an exception! Plus, the patterns are just so fun together! :)

April 9, 2015 at 8:04 pm Reply
  • Justine S.

These pictures are beyond precious!!! Love the story behind the dress and how you got into thrifting.

April 9, 2015 at 3:36 pm Reply

Thank you!! I was thinking about it and I actually still have several of my favorite thrift finds from those early thrifting days in high school! :)

April 9, 2015 at 8:07 pm Reply

You are so stinkin’ adorable in this outfit. I can’t even!! The mixed patterns is absolute perfection and the colors are so springy! Way to rock it!!

April 10, 2015 at 9:28 am Reply

Ahhh thanks, Megan!! I loved the theme, it really inspired me to restyle this old dress and I’m so happy I did! :)

April 10, 2015 at 9:40 am Reply
  • Brittany

You’re welcome, Kristi! xx :D

April 10, 2015 at 1:41 pm Reply
  • Andrea

Can’t believe you still own your first thrifted piece!!! I definitely don’t as my mom thrifted for us growing up ;) But now I’m curious to see what my oldest thrifted piece is…hmm. Such an amazingly cute look this week with the stripes and polka dots!!!!!!!! I love pattern mixing and the colors and the whole look are just perfect.

April 11, 2015 at 5:25 am Reply

Thanks, Andrea!! I’ve been obsessed with pattern mixing lately, it’s all I want to do!!! ;)
      And yeah, I’m amazed I still have my first thrifted item, too, especially since this dress has seen better days, but I might just refashion it and make it new yet again!! :)

April 13, 2015 at 4:34 pm Reply
  • JJ

And now I need a Yellow striped dress or skirt! :o) One of the problems with blogging…finding out you “need” something that five seconds earlier you didn’t even know existed. :o)

JJ

April 23, 2015 at 11:26 am Reply

Hahaha so true!! I fall in love with so many clothes and accessories that I see on fellow bloggers, it’s dangerous! ;)
      Thanks! :)