Style Me Vintage | Thrift Style Thursday

May 21, 2015

Today’s Thrift Style Thursday theme is a little bit different since it is the first time we asked someone else to style a thrifted outfit for us!  The theme is “Stylist for a Day” brought to us by Andrea of Little Did You Know.  As soon as I read the theme for this week, I knew I was going to enlist the help of my mom.  We often ask each other’s opinion on our outfits and help each other style our looks.

For today’s outfit, I actually asked my mom to help me style a thrifted vintage tropical floral shirt, which I found at Savers several weeks ago, but haven’t figured out how to wear.  My mom immediately suggested gray pants, and then added shoes and accessories, and – voila! – my personally styled thrifted outfit!

Thrifted vintage tropical floral top, gray skinny jeans & accessories | Thrift Style Thursday via Delightfully Kristi

I have to admit that while I am all for getting a second opinion on an outfit, or asking for styling advice, I found it hard to allow someone else to create an entire outfit for me.  I love my mom’s taste, but I have been dressing myself – and creating my own personal style – for years.

It was a lot harder to give up the reins than I thought, but luckily my mom knows my style really well and she did come up with several outfits for me to choose from haha!  And anyway, I love these gray skinnies, with the zipper and stitching details, and this outfit is great so it wasn’t too much of a challenge!  ;)

Thrfited vintage floral top & gray skinnies | Thrift Style Thursday via Delightfully KristiThrifted vintage tropical shirt & accessories | Thrift Style Thursday via Delightfully Kristi

I’ve also unintentionally been growing my hair out (read: I have had absolutely zero time to go get a haircut).  So, during this, uh, transitional hair phase, I’ve been trying desperately to find simple hairstyles.  I was really pleased with this “fancy” half-ponytail!

Thrifted vintage tropical shirt & short hairstyle | Thrift Style Thursday via Delightfully Kristi

The details: vintage tropical shirt (Savers) // gray skinny jeans (Gap) // leather sandals (Mossimo, thrifted) // dark green bucket bag (Old Navy) // red stud earrings (Forever 21) // owl pendant necklace (old)

Thrifted top & sandals with gray skinnies & bucket bag | Thrift Style Thursday via Delightfully KristiThrifted leather Mossimo sandals & metallic gold pedicure | Delightfully Kristi

I cannot wait to see who the rest of the Thrift Style Thursday gals enlisted to style for them, and to see what their stylists chose!  Don’t forget to check out our newest member Alison of Nouveau North Westerners and the rest of the crew:

Have you ever let anyone else style an outfit for you?  How did you like the experience??

As always, thanks for reading!

Delightfully, Kristi (signature)

Very nice! Your mom did a great job, I love the shirt with the pants!!

May 21, 2015 at 7:31 am Reply

Thank you!! I totally agree! ;)

May 21, 2015 at 8:47 am Reply
  • Andrea

Cute shirt!!! Love how this all came out. Your hair is so cute like this! And I can’t get over how those sandals were thrifted…jealous ;)

May 21, 2015 at 3:35 pm Reply

Thank you!! It’s so fun seeing what awesome thrift finds everyone shares – I think we all want to raid each other’s closets haha! I know there are definitely some things I steal from yours! ;)

May 23, 2015 at 9:52 am Reply
  • Carissa

I love that your mom kept the rest of the outfit neutral to really let the floral top be the star. Everything ties back to those flowers perfectly. Also, your hair is super cute! I remember the days of fiddling with my short hair as I grew it out. So glad to be done with that, and never going that short again! I don’t pull it off even half as well as you do.

May 21, 2015 at 5:35 pm Reply

Yes, I love the simplicity of this look! My mom did a great job!! Also, I’m glad you like my hair! I have not had time to get it cut so I just trimmed up the back myself, but I’m trying to have fun with it haha! I don’t think I’ll let it go very long, though because it inevitably starts to drive me crazy! ;)

May 21, 2015 at 9:16 pm Reply
  • April Nunez

I love how you perfectly style this casual wear you are wearing!
    And? i love thrift shop! the floral top is such a steal.

April of: https://beybiapril.wordpress.com
    Instagram: @aprilnunezzz

May 22, 2015 at 3:27 am Reply

Thanks, April!! The top is definitely a good find – I can’t wait to wear it more with shorts for summer! :)

May 23, 2015 at 9:55 am Reply
  • Alison Spence

Your Mom was right on the money styling your outfit! I love the colors in the sandals and how they bring out the colors in your top. This seems like a great outfit for Spring!

May 22, 2015 at 12:05 pm Reply

Thank you, Alison! I definitely agree, my mom is a great stylist!! This outfit was perfect for the mixed up spring weather we’ve been having! :)

May 23, 2015 at 9:56 am Reply
  • nyrmirez

I love the outfit your mom came up with! I can only imagine how hard it was to not suggest different pieces to add/ take away from the multiple looks she came up with. I love how creative this week’s theme is.

May 23, 2015 at 4:37 am Reply

Thanks! It was SO hard, I definitely tried to butt in and “suggest” things for the outfits she was coming up with haha! BUT this outfit was all her creation and I love it!! :)

May 23, 2015 at 9:57 am Reply

I’m absolutely obsessed with that floral top! It is soooo cute! And your hair looks great in this photo :) great way to pull on the colors of the shirt with those sandals!

May 27, 2015 at 7:12 pm Reply

Thank you so much!!! I love how fun this top is, I can’t wait to wear it more this summer! And these sandals are my fave! :)

May 27, 2015 at 7:54 pm Reply